Forum addresses water safety, gas drilling near reservoir
Published: Saturday, November 17, 2012, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Saturday, November 17, 2012
A panel of experts and local officials at a forum Monday will address questions and concerns about the safety of gas drilling near water sources.
The forum will emphasize Marcellus shale gas extraction near Beaver Run Reservoir, a 1,300-acre lake in the northern end of Westmoreland County that provides water to 150,000 homes.
According to a news release from the Mountain Watershed Association, panel members will include a Duquesne University biological sciences professor, Murrysville's chief administrator and a member of the Citizens for the Preservation of Rural Murrysville.
The Municipal Authority of Westmoreland County, the state Department of Environmental Protection's bureau of water quality and Consol Energy have been invited to participate on the panel.
The forum will be held at 7 p.m. at the Murrysville Community & Senior Center at 3091 Carson Ave.
The Westmoreland authority has an agreement with Indiana University of Pennsylvania researchers for quarterly testing of water samples taken from Beaver Run Reservoir.
The forum is sponsored by the League of Women Voters, Local Authority of Western Pennsylvania, Westmoreland Green Party and the watershed association.
- Plan for Greensburg loft apartments receives approval
- Former president of Derry football boosters charged with stealing $27,000
- Pagan’s lawyer seeks info
- Latrobe officials OK $60K project aimed at allowing creek to flow freely
- Franklin Regional library aide quits in wake of theft charges
- Crews working on roads in Mt. Pleasant Township
- Franklin Regional ends decade of tax increases
- Franklin Regional board to weigh reporters’ objections to meeting
- Greater Latrobe board to consider tax hike
- New Alexandria woman charged with carrying 96 bags of heroin
- Vandergrift man’s insufficient-evidence argument rejected in death of infant
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.