3 remain in hospitals after 2 separate fatalities
Three people remained hospitalized on Friday for injuries they suffered in two separate Westmoreland County accidents on Thursday that claimed the lives of two women.
Shawn Schantz, 23, of Pittsburgh, was in fair condition in Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh's North Side, according to a spokeswoman.
He was a passenger in a vehicle driven by Brandon W. Thiem, 25, of Derry, who was in fair condition in UPMC Presbyterian Hospital in Oakland, according to a spokeswoman.
Thiem's 1997 Audi A4 was traveling east on Route 22 in Salem when a westbound 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse, driven by Amanda Ciccarelli, 39, of Salem, turned in front of him about 4:30 p.m., state police at Kiski said.
Ciccarelli was pronounced dead at the scene by county Deputy Coroner Joshua Zappone.
A third person was in UPMC Presbyterian after an accident around 6 p.m. on Route 130 in Unity. Acacia Macey, 20, of Greensburg was in good condition, a hospital spokeswoman said. She was a passenger in a car driven by Janessa J. Fleming, 25, of Janessa Drive, Armstrong Township, Indiana County. Fleming was pronounced dead in the emergency department at Excela Health Westmoreland Hospital in Greensburg, according to the coroner's office.
Fleming's 2006 Honda Accord was turning from Pleasant Unity-Mutual Road onto Route 130 and crossed in front of a westbound 2011 Ford Ranger driven by Richard Bowers, 48, of Mt. Pleasant, state police at Greensburg said.
Bowers was treated at Excela Health Latrobe Hospital and released, a spokeswoman said.
Ciccarelli died of blunt force injuries to the head, abdomen and the thorax, according to the Westmoreland County Coroner's Office.
Fleming died of blunt force injuries to the head, neck and thorax, the coroner's office said.
Bob Stiles is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-836-6622 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Machine operator avoids serious injuries in accident in North Huntingdon
- Harhai campaign emails from 2007 under review, Westmoreland County DA says
- Expansion in works for Mt. Pleasant Glass Museum
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Derry Twp. crash
- Energy company responsible for polluting Donegal well appeals state’s finding
- 40-year-old Latrobe woman used boy, 13, for sex, drugs, police say
- Police: Penn Township man was ‘lonely,’ so he called 911
- Southmoreland High School junior’s broken jaw ‘could have been avoided’
- Ligonier Township considers cellphone tower requests
- Latrobe school directors won’t forgive bill for WCCC land
- Greensburg finalizes deal to provide sign language interpreter for soccer program