3 remain in hospitals after 2 separate fatalities
Three people remained hospitalized on Friday for injuries they suffered in two separate Westmoreland County accidents on Thursday that claimed the lives of two women.
Shawn Schantz, 23, of Pittsburgh, was in fair condition in Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh's North Side, according to a spokeswoman.
He was a passenger in a vehicle driven by Brandon W. Thiem, 25, of Derry, who was in fair condition in UPMC Presbyterian Hospital in Oakland, according to a spokeswoman.
Thiem's 1997 Audi A4 was traveling east on Route 22 in Salem when a westbound 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse, driven by Amanda Ciccarelli, 39, of Salem, turned in front of him about 4:30 p.m., state police at Kiski said.
Ciccarelli was pronounced dead at the scene by county Deputy Coroner Joshua Zappone.
A third person was in UPMC Presbyterian after an accident around 6 p.m. on Route 130 in Unity. Acacia Macey, 20, of Greensburg was in good condition, a hospital spokeswoman said. She was a passenger in a car driven by Janessa J. Fleming, 25, of Janessa Drive, Armstrong Township, Indiana County. Fleming was pronounced dead in the emergency department at Excela Health Westmoreland Hospital in Greensburg, according to the coroner's office.
Fleming's 2006 Honda Accord was turning from Pleasant Unity-Mutual Road onto Route 130 and crossed in front of a westbound 2011 Ford Ranger driven by Richard Bowers, 48, of Mt. Pleasant, state police at Greensburg said.
Bowers was treated at Excela Health Latrobe Hospital and released, a spokeswoman said.
Ciccarelli died of blunt force injuries to the head, abdomen and the thorax, according to the Westmoreland County Coroner's Office.
Fleming died of blunt force injuries to the head, neck and thorax, the coroner's office said.
Bob Stiles is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-836-6622 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Lineup released for Greensburg concert series
- Budget work ahead for Southmoreland School District
- Ligonier Valley YMCA marks start of 32,000-square-foot expansion
- Women to stand trial in theft of drugs from Norwin Pharmacy
- New Kensington man gets probation for having teen sex videos
- Southmoreland School District focused on growing population, boosting achievement among students
- Westmoreland officials fear loss of impact fees
- Fracking foes pack zoning discussion in Ligonier Township
- WCCC plans 25% tuition increase for 2015-16
- Ex-Hempfield vet clinic worker charged in theft of $269K
- Technology, teaching style set district apart, Mt. Pleasant Area administrators say