Franklin Regional School Board picks Piraino for superintendent
By Mary Pickels
Published: Tuesday, December 4, 2012, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Tuesday, December 4, 2012
Franklin Regional School Board on Monday hired Gennaro R. Piraino Jr., the current assistant superintendent of Greater Latrobe School District, as the new district superintendent.
Piraino's new position will be effective April 21, 2013 through June 30, 2017, with a beginning salary of $135,000.
Piraino, 39, of Latrobe will replace Emery D'Arcangelo, who is retiring in April after serving as district superintendent since 2005.
Attending board members unanimously appointed Piraino with a 7-0 vote.
Board directors Herb Yingling and Roberta Cook were absent from Monday's meeting.
Director Joe Seymour, the board's newly appointed vice president, said Piraino's “love of education” stood out among the other applicants.
“That was one thing we were looking for in the process. ... I was pretty impressed with the range of candidates we had,” Seymour said.
“He has a detailed knowledge of the Professional Learning Community process (that the district utilizes),” Seymour said.
Piraino defined the Professional Learning Community as a “student-centered approach” that addresses all levels of academic challenges, from students who are struggling to those who are advanced.
His background with Greater Latrobe began in 1997, as a learning support teacher with the junior high school. He served as assistant principal with the junior/senior high schools from 2001-2006, principal of Baggaley Elementary School from 2006-2009, and district director of elementary education in 2009-2010. He has a doctorate in education.
“I am looking forward to coming in and working with the board and the whole school community,” Piraino said.
“Franklin Regional has an outstanding reputation, not only in the county but in the region. I was attracted by all of the terrific things they do for the students. ... It was a good fit,” he said.
Also on Monday, the board approved a request for 15 varsity baseball players to travel to Vero Beach, Fla. March 23-28, 2013, to attend spring training activities.
Mary Pickels is a staff writer for Trib Total Media.
- Smoking in school costs New Florence man more than a fine
- Bank sues to stop Jeannette’s $235,000 payment in court case
- Historical societies to honor veterans by marking grave sites in Hempfield
- Mt. Pleasant to dedicate digital wall honoring veterans
- Four Greensburg Salem candidates get both parties' backing
- Challenger posts stunning upset in Monessen mayoral race
- Suspect surrenders in Penn Township foundry evacuation
- Democrats in close race for Greensburg Council nominations
- Newcomer Kase to join incumbents on Murrysville council ballot
- More than 100 Mt. Pleasant students to display art
- Four appear to lock up positions on Norwin School Board
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.