Franklin Regional School Board picks Piraino for superintendent
Franklin Regional School Board on Monday hired Gennaro R. Piraino Jr., the current assistant superintendent of Greater Latrobe School District, as the new district superintendent.
Piraino's new position will be effective April 21, 2013 through June 30, 2017, with a beginning salary of $135,000.
Piraino, 39, of Latrobe will replace Emery D'Arcangelo, who is retiring in April after serving as district superintendent since 2005.
Attending board members unanimously appointed Piraino with a 7-0 vote.
Board directors Herb Yingling and Roberta Cook were absent from Monday's meeting.
Director Joe Seymour, the board's newly appointed vice president, said Piraino's “love of education” stood out among the other applicants.
“That was one thing we were looking for in the process. ... I was pretty impressed with the range of candidates we had,” Seymour said.
“He has a detailed knowledge of the Professional Learning Community process (that the district utilizes),” Seymour said.
Piraino defined the Professional Learning Community as a “student-centered approach” that addresses all levels of academic challenges, from students who are struggling to those who are advanced.
His background with Greater Latrobe began in 1997, as a learning support teacher with the junior high school. He served as assistant principal with the junior/senior high schools from 2001-2006, principal of Baggaley Elementary School from 2006-2009, and district director of elementary education in 2009-2010. He has a doctorate in education.
“I am looking forward to coming in and working with the board and the whole school community,” Piraino said.
“Franklin Regional has an outstanding reputation, not only in the county but in the region. I was attracted by all of the terrific things they do for the students. ... It was a good fit,” he said.
Also on Monday, the board approved a request for 15 varsity baseball players to travel to Vero Beach, Fla. March 23-28, 2013, to attend spring training activities.
Mary Pickels is a staff writer for Trib Total Media.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- K-9 officer Blek chosen as grand marshal of Fort Ligonier Days parade
- Hempfield Area considers renovations at high school
- Bridge project forces closing of Route 30
- Members of North Huntingdon family attacked by rabid otter in Va.
- Junction project on 1-70 at Westmoreland exchange to begin
- Heroin, marijuana found in car in Greensburg, driver arrested
- Former guard at Westmoreland jail focus of sex assault probe, DA confirms
- Blairsville man killed in single-vehicle crash in Derry Township
- Jeannette woman charged with stealing $50,000 from Teamsters credit union
- Scottdale paving project delayed
- Kecksburg celebrates its UFO history with annual festival