Latrobe police seek Derry fugitive following traffic stop assault
By Joe Napsha
Published: Tuesday, December 4, 2012, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Tuesday, December 4, 2012
Latrobe police said they are seeking a Derry Township driver who allegedly resisted arrest and fled from an officer during a Nov. 30 traffic stop, breaking away from a police dog and eluding a search by officers from neighboring police departments.
Darnell Hampton, 25, of 113 Center St., Bradenville, faces charges of providing false identification to a law enforcement officer, resisting arrest, aggravated assault and escape after a traffic stop in the 700 block of Alexandria Street at 10 p.m. Friday, police said.
Patrolman Robert Derk said he stopped Hampton for speeding on Depot Street and failing to stop at a traffic light. Hampton struggled when told he was under arrest for giving false information, Derk said.
Hampton pulled away from Derk, and an assisting officer wrestled with Hampton as they fell to the ground, Derk said. Hampton ran off, chased by Rocky, a dog with the Latrobe K-9 unit, Derk said. The dog leaped to try to grab Hampton's pant leg as he climbed a fence, but Hampton escaped, Derk said.
Officers from Derry, Ligonier Township, Ligonier Borough and state police at Greensburg assisted in a search of the residential areas of Depot to Spring streets, with help from Ligonier Township's K-9 dog.
A 21-year-old passenger from Bradenville will be charged with providing false identification to police, Latrobe police said.
The vehicle is owned by Valerie Stevens, 35, of 231 Wainwright Drive, McKeesport, police said.
Joe Napsha is a staff writer for Trib Total Media.
- Smoking in school costs New Florence man more than a fine
- Bank sues to stop Jeannette’s $235,000 payment in court case
- Historical societies to honor veterans by marking grave sites in Hempfield
- Memorial Day events set in Westmoreland, Fayette
- Mt. Pleasant to dedicate digital wall honoring veterans
- Zoning change of Herminie parcels causes controversy
- Greensburg man gets probation for spitting on officer
- Fireworks to honor Greensburg Community Days organizer Koval
- Suspect surrenders in Penn Township foundry evacuation
- McKeesport man gets jail term for heroin sale
- Councilwoman Wolford wins Latrobe Democratic mayoral nod
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.