Latrobe police seek Derry fugitive following traffic stop assault
Latrobe police said they are seeking a Derry Township driver who allegedly resisted arrest and fled from an officer during a Nov. 30 traffic stop, breaking away from a police dog and eluding a search by officers from neighboring police departments.
Darnell Hampton, 25, of 113 Center St., Bradenville, faces charges of providing false identification to a law enforcement officer, resisting arrest, aggravated assault and escape after a traffic stop in the 700 block of Alexandria Street at 10 p.m. Friday, police said.
Patrolman Robert Derk said he stopped Hampton for speeding on Depot Street and failing to stop at a traffic light. Hampton struggled when told he was under arrest for giving false information, Derk said.
Hampton pulled away from Derk, and an assisting officer wrestled with Hampton as they fell to the ground, Derk said. Hampton ran off, chased by Rocky, a dog with the Latrobe K-9 unit, Derk said. The dog leaped to try to grab Hampton's pant leg as he climbed a fence, but Hampton escaped, Derk said.
Officers from Derry, Ligonier Township, Ligonier Borough and state police at Greensburg assisted in a search of the residential areas of Depot to Spring streets, with help from Ligonier Township's K-9 dog.
A 21-year-old passenger from Bradenville will be charged with providing false identification to police, Latrobe police said.
The vehicle is owned by Valerie Stevens, 35, of 231 Wainwright Drive, McKeesport, police said.
Joe Napsha is a staff writer for Trib Total Media.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rival Westmoreland vape shops develop own specialties
- 10 escape Greensburg house fire
- Greensburg torture killer Marinucci returns to court seeking lighter sentence
- 3 injured in crash that ties up Route 22 in Salem for nearly 8 hours
- Three teens injured in one-vehicle crash in Hempfield
- St. Vincent professor, students use interviews for drug addiction data
- Unity to decide July 9 on disputed gas station
- Hempfield Area balances budget with 1.79-mill tax increase
- Route 119 ramp to Route 819 to be closed in July
- Mt Pleasant police officer assaulted while making arrest
- Last barrier to Monsour Medical Center demolition about to fall