Latrobe police seek Derry fugitive following traffic stop assault
By Joe Napsha
Published: Tuesday, Dec. 4, 2012, 12:01 a.m.
Latrobe police said they are seeking a Derry Township driver who allegedly resisted arrest and fled from an officer during a Nov. 30 traffic stop, breaking away from a police dog and eluding a search by officers from neighboring police departments.
Darnell Hampton, 25, of 113 Center St., Bradenville, faces charges of providing false identification to a law enforcement officer, resisting arrest, aggravated assault and escape after a traffic stop in the 700 block of Alexandria Street at 10 p.m. Friday, police said.
Patrolman Robert Derk said he stopped Hampton for speeding on Depot Street and failing to stop at a traffic light. Hampton struggled when told he was under arrest for giving false information, Derk said.
Hampton pulled away from Derk, and an assisting officer wrestled with Hampton as they fell to the ground, Derk said. Hampton ran off, chased by Rocky, a dog with the Latrobe K-9 unit, Derk said. The dog leaped to try to grab Hampton's pant leg as he climbed a fence, but Hampton escaped, Derk said.
Officers from Derry, Ligonier Township, Ligonier Borough and state police at Greensburg assisted in a search of the residential areas of Depot to Spring streets, with help from Ligonier Township's K-9 dog.
A 21-year-old passenger from Bradenville will be charged with providing false identification to police, Latrobe police said.
The vehicle is owned by Valerie Stevens, 35, of 231 Wainwright Drive, McKeesport, police said.
Joe Napsha is a staff writer for Trib Total Media.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- North Versailles, Murrysville families still waiting for report on 2011 chopper crash that killed couple
- Blaze damages Derry Twp. garage, apartment
- Jailed Hribal ‘fine,’ but family ‘terrible’ as answers in stabbing sought
- ‘We Are FR’ fund going strong
- Police say Latrobe woman bought gun for boyfriend, who shot neighbor
- Graziani hired away from Latrobe as Penn Township’s manager
- Scottdale to reconsider use of complaint forms
- Retired postal worker picks $1M winner
- Murrysville woman sues Giant Eagle over burns
- Hempfield Area superintendent, business manager quit
- Ligonier Valley to buy 3D printer for students