Westmoreland couple wins $250,000 in Cash 5 jackpot split
Published: Thursday, December 6, 2012, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Wednesday, January 23, 2013
Jeff Devlin was surprised when Pennsylvania Lottery officials called Wednesday morning to tell him his store sold one of two jackpot-winning Cash 5 tickets from Tuesday's drawing.
And he was thrilled when the $250,000 winners, a couple in their 80s, came into the Pop ‘N Brew Super Store in Mount Pleasant Township that afternoon.
“I was more excited than they were,” he said. “They're excited, and they're (going to) take care of their kids, but they were very, very low-key.”
Devlin declined to identify the couple, who come in a few times a week to buy instant tickets and play the lottery.
They came in to scan their ticket and make sure it was a winner, he said. He gave them directions to the Pittsburgh lottery office to file their claim.
The $500,000 jackpot will be split between the couple and the holder of the other winning ticket, which was sold in Sharon, Mercer County, according to lottery officials.
Devlin said the jackpot was the largest winning ticket his store has sold. It has had $20,000 and $30,000 winners.
“That clearly takes the cake,” he said.
The store will receive a $500 bonus for selling the winning ticket, though Devlin was not sure how he would spend it.
- Plan for loft apartments receives approval
- Former president of Derry Area Football Boosters Club charged with stealing $27,000 from group
- Pagan’s lawyer seeks info
- Franklin Regional ends decade of tax increases
- Library aide quits in wake of charges
- Latrobe officials OK $60K project aimed at allowing creek to flow freely
- Crews working on roads in Mt. Pleasant Township
- Franklin Regional board to weigh reporters’ objections to meeting
- Vandergrift man’s insufficient-evidence argument rejected in death of infant
- Greater Latrobe board to consider tax hike
- Mt. Pleasant district has superintendent candidate
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.