Monessen man accused of SSI benefits fraud
Published: Friday, December 7, 2012, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Friday, December 7, 2012
A Monessen man is accused of receiving Social Security Supplemental Income benefits under two names.
Sergio Torres-Rosa, 56, is charged with four counts of theft by deception. State police allege that he applied for and received benefits in 1971 under one Social Security number.
In 1989, he applied for a second Social Security number using a different version of his name and in August 2012 began receiving additional benefits. Police allege he received $2,744 in fraudulent benefits.
Torres-Rosa is charged in a related case with illegally acquiring a second driver's license to obtain additional benefits in August 2012. He faces two counts of tampering with public records and one court of falsifying public information.
Police said one driver's license was issued in 2001 to Sergio T. Rosa and in 2005 a second license with the identical likeness was issued to Sergio Rosa. He allegedly used the Rosa license to request additional Social Security benefits.
Torres-Rosa is free on his own recognizance pending a preliminary hearing Friday before District Judge Joseph Dalfonso.
- Organization helps cancer-stricken mother see her kids attend prom
- Loyalhanna parents denied contact once baby born
- Monessen revival boils down to money that could be difficult to secure
- Belle Vernon family suing VFD over crash
- Southmoreland seniors earn spots on All-State Band
- Mt. Pleasant district renews food contract
- Zoning restrictions threaten reopening of coke facility
- Hempfield man gets 5 to 10 years in prison for firing at troopers in what lawyer called an ‘anomaly’
- Sentence in fatal DUI crash rings hollow for family of Jeannette woman
- Hempfield man to be jailed 5 days in stalking
- Communities, theater feel loss of Greensburg prisoner work program
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.