TribLIVE

| News

 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Latrobe woman suffers burns from grease fire

Email Newsletters

Click here to sign up for one of our email newsletters.

Daily Photo Galleries

Friday, Dec. 28, 2012, 12:01 a.m.
 

A Latrobe woman was treated for burns Thursday after a grease fire flashed while she was cooking.

Latrobe fire Chief John Brasile said the 25-year-old woman, whose name was withheld, was cooking hamburger in her apartment at 211 Main St. about 7:30 p.m. Thursday.

“She lifted the pot off the stove and threw water on it,” he said.

The woman was transported to Excela Health Latrobe Hospital for burns on her hands and face, the fire chief said.

Her condition was not available.

Firefighters were called to the scene, Brasile said, but the flames did not spread to the structure.

“There was never any actual fire, it just flashed and a little bit of soot,” he said.

The best way to treat a grease fire is by removing it from the heat and smothering it with a lid or damp wash cloth, Brasile said.

“Water's an absolute no-no,” he said, adding that salt or baking soda work well, but there's still a chance for burns. “If you put a lid or cover on it, that's the best way.”

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.

 

 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read Westmoreland

  1. Rostraver man pleads guilty in 2012 deadly wreck on I-70
  2. Study shows Ligonier Borough might save if police consolidate
  3. Student violinist,Valley School of Ligonier reach settlement
  4. Tenaska agrees to provide pollution information on proposed South Huntingdon plant
  5. Greensburg torture slaying participant Marinucci makes second appeal of sentence as unconstitutional
  6. Unity planners recommend OK of church plans
  7. Free training sessions to administer naloxone opiod antidote to begin in Derry
  8. ‘Music in the Mountains’ gets under way this weekend in Ohiopyle
  9. Youngwood officials consider taking over building inspections
  10. Derry Township sponsors hazardous-waste drop
  11. Man wields knife in convenience store robbery near Herminie