Latrobe woman suffers burns from grease fire
By The Tribune-Review
Published: Friday, Dec. 28, 2012, 12:01 a.m.
A Latrobe woman was treated for burns Thursday after a grease fire flashed while she was cooking.
Latrobe fire Chief John Brasile said the 25-year-old woman, whose name was withheld, was cooking hamburger in her apartment at 211 Main St. about 7:30 p.m. Thursday.
“She lifted the pot off the stove and threw water on it,” he said.
The woman was transported to Excela Health Latrobe Hospital for burns on her hands and face, the fire chief said.
Her condition was not available.
Firefighters were called to the scene, Brasile said, but the flames did not spread to the structure.
“There was never any actual fire, it just flashed and a little bit of soot,” he said.
The best way to treat a grease fire is by removing it from the heat and smothering it with a lid or damp wash cloth, Brasile said.
“Water's an absolute no-no,” he said, adding that salt or baking soda work well, but there's still a chance for burns. “If you put a lid or cover on it, that's the best way.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Police see no sign Franklin Regional stabbing suspect was bullied
- Retired postal worker picks $1M winner
- Response to Franklin Regional stabbings earns official top public safety spot
- Derry Borough councilwoman pleads guilty in missing-money case
- Ligonier Township to consider zoning for ‘agricultural tourism’
- Community turns out for Franklin Regional students’ return to class
- Jailed Hribal ‘fine,’ but family ‘terrible’ as answers in stabbing sought
- Police: Volunteer firefighter admits to setting fires
- Judge rules Delmont man was not aggressor in assault outside Wal-Mart
- Hempfield Area superintendent, business manager quit
- Students visit Franklin Regional days after mass stabbing