2 men arrested for New Stanton gas station robbery
Published: Friday, January 4, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Wednesday, January 9, 2013
Two Ruffsdale men are being held in the Westmoreland County Prison on $50,000 bond each for allegedly holding up a gas station in New Stanton the night of Dec. 30.
Justin James Chearney, 23, and Joshua T. Sims, 20, are accused of purchasing a BB gun pistol that looks like a .45-caliber handgun at the Wal-Mart in East Huntingdon that evening.
Police allege the pair then went to Chearney's residence in Ruffsdale where Chearney picked up a dark coat, ski mask, bandanna and sunglasses and drove to the Sunoco gas station and convenience store on Center Avenue.
Police said Chearney was wearing the disguise when he entered the store around 10:30 p.m. and threatened the clerk with the gun. They fled with $252, police said.
Both are charged with armed robbery, criminal conspiracy, theft, simple assault and making terroristic threats.
They were arraigned Wednesday before Jeannette District Judge Joseph DeMarchis and jailed after failing to post $50,000 bond.
A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Jan. 8 before Hempfield District Judge James Falcon.
- Monessen revival boils down to money that could be difficult to secure
- Loyalhanna parents denied contact once baby born
- Zoning restrictions threaten reopening of coke facility
- Hempfield man gets 5 to 10 years in prison for firing at troopers in what lawyer called an ‘anomaly’
- Hempfield man gets life in prison for killing girlfriend during fight over spilled noodles
- Mt. Pleasant district renews food contract
- Murrysville drivers will enjoy green all the way on Route 22 as traffic engineers adjust signals
- Organization helps cancer-stricken mother see her kids attend prom
- Sentence in fatal DUI crash rings hollow for family of Jeannette woman
- Hempfield man to be jailed 5 days in stalking
- Southmoreland seniors earn spots on All-State Band
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.