Mt. Pleasant Township man charged with bumping state trooper
A Mt. Pleasant Township man is accused of assaulting a state trooper on New Year's Day.
Gregory N. Freed, 19, of 212 B, Bobtail St., Mt. Pleasant Township, was arraigned on charges of aggravated assault, resisting arrest, simple assault and disorderly conduct in connection with the incident at 11:50 a.m. Tuesday.
Police said they responded to a report of a domestic dispute at Freed's home, but no one would answer the door. Police said they knocked on the next-door neighbor's door for information and discovered a 29-year-old man dead inside.
As more emergency crews and a coroner's deputy arrived, Freed finally opened his door. Police warned him that if he continued arguing with his girlfriend, he would be arrested.
Police did not identify the neighbor or indicate what caused his death. They returned to process the scene at the neighbor's residence when another argument involving Freed occurred, police said.
When police returned to Freed's apartment, he told them it was his residence and “no one called you here.” When troopers approached to inform him that one of the parties should leave to “cool off,” police allege, he rose out of his chair and “chest bumped” Cpl. James Mazurik.
Freed is charged with aggravated assault, resisting arrest, simple assault and disorderly conduct and was committed to the Westmoreland County Prison after failing to post $5,000 bond. Freed was released Thursday after raising bail through a bail bondsman, according to court records.
A preliminary hearing for Freed is scheduled on Jan. 10 before Norvelt District Judge Roger Eckels.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Homewood man faces drug charges after chase in Trafford
- Students learn risks of digital lives at middle school presentation in Hempfield
- 20 charged in Western Pennsylvania drug crackdown
- Former SCI Greensburg headed for auction block
- Jeannette ups earned income tax
- Westmoreland DA wants killer Stahl to pay wife’s relatives
- Ex-youth group volunteer from Monroeville indicted on child pornography charges
- Unity municipal authority blames rate hike on past actions
- 3 gunmen sought in Hempfield home invasion
- Mt. Pleasant to advertise tentative 2015 budget
- Ligonier native Christensen works on Ebola as CDC epidemiologist