Southmoreland teen awaits latest goal in her life
Paige M. Bowman is a junior at Southmoreland High School, a volunteer firefighter for East Huntingdon Township and a three-year-player for the Scotties girls soccer team.
From Feb. 2-10, she will add another role in life.
Bowman, 16, will embark on a trip to Haiti with members of Mt. Pleasant Church of God.
She will be in charge of running a soccer camp, a tournament and biblical studies for children. She also will help maintain the church there.
“I'm a bit unsure as to what I will be doing but possibly building and painting benches for the church,” Bowman said.
She will stay in a ministry associated with the Church of God denomination.
Missionary work is something Bowman has been interested in since she was a young girl. She said the ambition was sparked while attending a youth rally for a missionary from Brazil.
“It is something I have always wanted to do,” she said.
The Haiti opportunity was presented to Bowman by Kim Barkley, a nurse at Excela Health Care in Greensburg and a member of Mt. Pleasant Church of God “with a love for the people of Haiti.”
“This will be our sixth trip so far,” Barkley said.
According to Barkley, the goal of mission trips is to interact with children and help those in need.
Haiti, a Caribbean nation mired in poverty, has hard-working citizens, Barkley said.
The fundraising goal is about $1,000. All mission participants are responsible for paying their own way.
Bowman said she was able to raise enough money, thanks to Steel City Quartet.
“We ended up getting more than enough money,” she said.
Bowman did admit she is a bit nervous about the trip.
“I've had my (vaccines) prevention shots and have enough bug spray for an army,” she said.
Bowman, also president of her church youth group, is involved in PowderPuff and an active percussionist.
As a high school junior, Bowman is planning for college, although she hasn't determined her major.
“From the time I was little, I've had my heart set on Penn State,” she said.
Andrew Hesner is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Endowment of $3.49B makes University of Pittsburgh 25th richest in U.S.
- Rostraver Democrat aims for 1 of 3 open spots on Westmoreland County bench
- Braddock man held for trial in Jeannette assault, robbery
- Westmoreland County settles with fired public defender
- New Alexandria tree trimmer pleads guilty to fraud
- Suspect in West Newton burglary sought, alleged accomplice arrested
- Three injured in two-vehicle accident on Arona Road in Hempfield
- Woman pays $178 fine for Westmoreland courthouse conduct
- Coal truck, another hauling beer crash on Route 22
- Former Steelers LB Haggans to do time in Westmoreland jail
- Man’s body found in car in Forbes State Forest