Southmoreland School District business manager resigns post
By Paul Paterra
Published: Saturday, January 12, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Saturday, January 12, 2013
The Southmoreland School District is in need of a new business manager.
School directors accepted the resignation of Bill Salem from the position at Thursday's board meeting.
Salem had been on the job for about 18 months, replacing longtime business manager Bill Porter, who had retired.
The motion to accept Salem's resignation passed in a 7-2 vote. School directors Catherine Fike and Ken Alt voted against the motion.
“This is a tragedy,” Fike said, adding that she was one of three school directors who voted against Salem's hiring. “We have no choice but to accept this resignation, but it is truly sad that no one would pay attention. ... This is a tragedy, and we should be ashamed of what happened here.”
The board voted to seek an interim business manager with help from the Pennsylvania Association of School Business Officials, to begin the search for a permanent person for the position, also with help from the association, and to appoint Susan Dye, secretary to the business manager, as treasurer until a new business manager is hired.
Superintendent John Molnar said he would like to see a new business manager hired “as soon as we get a qualified individual.”
Paul Paterra is an editor with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-887-6101 or email@example.com.
- Frankhouser, Wilson get Fayette row-office nods
- Challenger posts stunning upset in Monessen mayoral race
- Democrats in close race for Greensburg Council nominations
- Four appear to lock up positions on Norwin School Board
- Newcomer Kase to join incuments on Murrysville fall ballot
- Four Greensburg Salem candidates get both parties' backing
- Jacobelli bests Carter to win Jeannette mayoral nod
- Councilwoman Wolford wins Latrobe Democratic mayoral nod
- Bilik DeFazio leads race on both ballots
- Incumbents fare well in Latrobe School board balloting
- GOP's Ulishney to face Democrat for Unity Township supervisor
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.