12 selected for Smyrnes jury
Published: Thursday, January 17, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Friday, March 29, 2013
Attorneys selected six more jurors Wednesday to hear the capital murder trial of Ricky Smyrnes, bringing the total number selected to 12.
Smyrnes, 26, formerly of Irwin and McKeesport, is accused of orchestrating the torture and murder of 30-year-old Jennifer Daugherty.
Police said Daugherty was held captive for more than two days in a Greensburg apartment shared by Smyrnes and five others. Her body was found discarded in a snowy parking lot on Feb. 11, 2010.
Jury selection will continue this morning before Westmoreland County Judge Rita Hathaway when four alternates will be chosen for the panel. One juror selected earlier in the week had to be replaced due to a work conflict.
Testimony in the case is scheduled to begin Feb. 4.
- Smoking in school costs New Florence man more than a fine
- Historical societies to honor veterans by marking grave sites in Hempfield
- Bank sues to stop Jeannette’s $235,000 payment in court case
- Memorial Day events set in Westmoreland, Fayette
- Zoning change of Herminie parcels causes controversy
- Former Jeannette hospital attracts Calif. buyer
- Greensburg man gets probation for spitting on officer
- Mt. Pleasant to accelerate installation of warning siren
- Suspect surrenders in Penn Township foundry evacuation
- 11 jurors in Knight death sentence hearing confident they took oath
- Mt. Pleasant to dedicate digital wall honoring veterans
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.