12 selected for Smyrnes jury
Attorneys selected six more jurors Wednesday to hear the capital murder trial of Ricky Smyrnes, bringing the total number selected to 12.
Smyrnes, 26, formerly of Irwin and McKeesport, is accused of orchestrating the torture and murder of 30-year-old Jennifer Daugherty.
Police said Daugherty was held captive for more than two days in a Greensburg apartment shared by Smyrnes and five others. Her body was found discarded in a snowy parking lot on Feb. 11, 2010.
Jury selection will continue this morning before Westmoreland County Judge Rita Hathaway when four alternates will be chosen for the panel. One juror selected earlier in the week had to be replaced due to a work conflict.
Testimony in the case is scheduled to begin Feb. 4.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Derry Twp. crash
- Latrobe group cancels raffle, seeks ticket holders for refunds
- Harhai campaign emails from 2007 under review, Westmoreland County DA says
- Energy company responsible for polluting Donegal well appeals state’s finding
- Southmoreland High School junior’s broken jaw ‘could have been avoided’
- Stewartsville principal’s comments taken out of context, district claims
- Ligonier Township considers cellphone tower requests
- 2 suspects charged with second robbery in Hempfield
- Jeannette purse-snatching suspects to stand trial in 5 incidents
- Woman charged with assault spree in Jeannette
- Former Pagans leader works out plea agreement