12 selected for Smyrnes jury
By The Tribune-Review
Published: Thursday, Jan. 17, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
Attorneys selected six more jurors Wednesday to hear the capital murder trial of Ricky Smyrnes, bringing the total number selected to 12.
Smyrnes, 26, formerly of Irwin and McKeesport, is accused of orchestrating the torture and murder of 30-year-old Jennifer Daugherty.
Police said Daugherty was held captive for more than two days in a Greensburg apartment shared by Smyrnes and five others. Her body was found discarded in a snowy parking lot on Feb. 11, 2010.
Jury selection will continue this morning before Westmoreland County Judge Rita Hathaway when four alternates will be chosen for the panel. One juror selected earlier in the week had to be replaced due to a work conflict.
Testimony in the case is scheduled to begin Feb. 4.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Police: Volunteer firefighter admits to setting fires
- Jailed Hribal ‘fine,’ but family ‘terrible’ as answers in stabbing sought
- Community turns out for Franklin Regional students’ return to class
- Hempfield Area superintendent, business manager quit
- Judge rules Delmont man was not aggressor in assault outside Wal-Mart
- Students visit Franklin Regional days after mass stabbing
- Vandalizing locks at Washington Township judge’s office could land man in prison
- City approves deal to supply Greater Latrobe with school resource officer
- New citizens embrace ‘special day’ at Westmoreland naturalization ceremony
- Franklin Regional staff try to return to normal for students’ return
- St. Vincent student killed in ‘unfortunate accident’ in Erie