12 selected for Smyrnes jury
Attorneys selected six more jurors Wednesday to hear the capital murder trial of Ricky Smyrnes, bringing the total number selected to 12.
Smyrnes, 26, formerly of Irwin and McKeesport, is accused of orchestrating the torture and murder of 30-year-old Jennifer Daugherty.
Police said Daugherty was held captive for more than two days in a Greensburg apartment shared by Smyrnes and five others. Her body was found discarded in a snowy parking lot on Feb. 11, 2010.
Jury selection will continue this morning before Westmoreland County Judge Rita Hathaway when four alternates will be chosen for the panel. One juror selected earlier in the week had to be replaced due to a work conflict.
Testimony in the case is scheduled to begin Feb. 4.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Jeannette company’s miniature steam engines coveted for decades
- Westmoreland County furloughs weights and measurements director
- Police gather in Ligonier for Perryopolis officer’s funeral
- United Way surplus funds benefit 9 nonprofits in Westmoreland County
- Penn Township man who shot friend gets probation
- Hempfield leaders kill zoning request for townhomes
- Home of LeNature’s exec up for sale
- 11 Westmoreland inmates accused of setting fire put in solitary confinement
- Plenty of ‘pain’ to share, as Westmoreland County budget OK’d with $8M in cuts
- Unity name excised from Latrobe parks, recreation
- Demolition project at Oliver’s Pourhouse in Greensburg moves ahead