12 selected for Smyrnes jury
Attorneys selected six more jurors Wednesday to hear the capital murder trial of Ricky Smyrnes, bringing the total number selected to 12.
Smyrnes, 26, formerly of Irwin and McKeesport, is accused of orchestrating the torture and murder of 30-year-old Jennifer Daugherty.
Police said Daugherty was held captive for more than two days in a Greensburg apartment shared by Smyrnes and five others. Her body was found discarded in a snowy parking lot on Feb. 11, 2010.
Jury selection will continue this morning before Westmoreland County Judge Rita Hathaway when four alternates will be chosen for the panel. One juror selected earlier in the week had to be replaced due to a work conflict.
Testimony in the case is scheduled to begin Feb. 4.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 3 identified in Route 66 crash near Delmont
- Ex-Milwaukee archbishop told he can’t spend final days at St. Vincent Archabbey
- Hookah bar on tap for Greensburg
- Greensburg pawn shop aids in arrest of home repair scam suspect
- Greensburg man charged with assaulting hospital guard
- Walker: Latrobe gets ready to welcome Steelers back to camp
- PennDOT to stabilize rock slide along Penn Adamsburg Road in Hempfield
- Westmoreland County gets the word out about drug problem
- Entrapment, injury reported in Derry Township accident
- More than 100 participate in Scottdale triathlon
- Westmoreland County Prison to start video visits