12 selected for Smyrnes jury
Attorneys selected six more jurors Wednesday to hear the capital murder trial of Ricky Smyrnes, bringing the total number selected to 12.
Smyrnes, 26, formerly of Irwin and McKeesport, is accused of orchestrating the torture and murder of 30-year-old Jennifer Daugherty.
Police said Daugherty was held captive for more than two days in a Greensburg apartment shared by Smyrnes and five others. Her body was found discarded in a snowy parking lot on Feb. 11, 2010.
Jury selection will continue this morning before Westmoreland County Judge Rita Hathaway when four alternates will be chosen for the panel. One juror selected earlier in the week had to be replaced due to a work conflict.
Testimony in the case is scheduled to begin Feb. 4.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Westmoreland County settles with fired public defender
- Rostraver Democrat aims for 1 of 3 open spots on Westmoreland County bench
- Endowment of $3.49B makes University of Pittsburgh 25th richest in U.S.
- New Alexandria tree trimmer pleads guilty to fraud
- Braddock man held for trial in Jeannette assault, robbery
- Three injured in two-vehicle accident on Arona Road in Hempfield
- Woman pays $178 fine for Westmoreland courthouse conduct
- Suspect in West Newton burglary sought, alleged accomplice arrested
- Krieger to seek Westmoreland County Common Pleas judgeship
- Former Steelers LB Haggans to do time in Westmoreland jail
- Coal truck, another hauling beer crash on Route 22