Charleroi woman charged with hiding Monessen man wanted in attempted homicide
A Charleroi woman has been charged with hiding a Monessen man wanted by police in her basement in December.
Samantha Scagline, 21, of 505 8th St., was charged Monday by Monessen police and Westmoreland County Detectives with hindering apprehension or prosecution.
Police allege Scagline hid Antoine Hairston, 19, of Monessen in the basement of her home while he was wanted on attempted homicide and other charges.
Hairston was one of five people charged Dec. 4 with attempting to shoot and kill Jaisen Irwin of Monessen, who they believed was spreading rumors about a murder that occurred on Dec. 3.
While the other four defendants turned themselves in, Hairston did not, prompting an extensive search, police said.
On Dec. 13, Charleroi police received a tip that Hairston was staying at 505 8th St.
Members of the Marshals Fugitive Task Force along with Charleroi police went to the home and encountered Scagline and Nicole Hairston, who were living at the residence. Police said Scagline and Nicole Hairston both said they knew Antoine Hairston. But they said only the two of them and Nicole Hairston's son lived there, according to court papers.
Police asked to search the residence and were given permission. They found Antoine Hairston hiding in the basement, according to court papers.
Monessen District Judge Joseph Dalfonso issued a warrant for Scagline's arrest. No charges have been filed against Nicole Hairston.
Jennifer Reeger is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-836-6155 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Westmoreland County adds 5 caseworker positions as child abuse cases increase
- Delmont man blogs about industrial history of region, exploring long-cold coke ovens
- PennDOT has to complete acquisition of 4 parcels, take down trees for New Stanton interchange on I-70
- Bids expected for demolition of Monsour Medical Center in Jeannette
- Greensburg YMCA plans to restore front porch to 1913 look
- Youngwood officials to submit drawings to state agency that orders playground work stoppage
- Man’s body found in car in Forbes State Forest
- Geyer Performing Arts Center hosts AAFC production of ‘Murder on the Nile’
- Body found in North Huntingdon
- Union Cemetery plot owners, heirs of deceased sought to sort out details of ownership
- Latrobe police seek driver of red cargo van