Westmoreland coroner identifies traffic accident victim
A Mt. Pleasant Borough man died Tuesday morning when his car plunged from a bridge on Route 119 in Hempfield and into a creek.
David E. Williams, 40, died at the scene of the accident, which was reported at 8 a.m., according to the Westmoreland County Coroner's Office.
Williams was driving north on Route 119, less than a mile north of Technology Drive, when his car left Route 119 for an unknown reason. It is unclear what time the accident happened, but it likely was overnight, according to the coroner. There were no witnesses to the crash.
Midway-St. Clair fire Chief Richard Kepple said the car fell about 45 to 50 feet from the bridge into the small creek below, which runs along Fry Hollow Road.
His Toyota Yaris sustained significant front-end damage, Kepple said. The front end of the car was in water.
Paramedics who arrived at the scene confirmed that Williams had died. Firefighters then waited for authorities to complete their investigation before they removed his body, Kepple said.
Firefighters did not need special ropes or equipment to climb down into the creek bed, although Kepple said it was a significant drop.
“You had to watch your step,” he said.
The coroner said Williams was pronounced dead at 9:14 a.m. of blunt-force trauma to the head, chest and extremities.
He was not wearing a seat belt, the coroner's office said.
State police in Greensburg are investigating the accident.
Paul Peirce is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-850-2860 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Former Jeannette coach held for trial on charges of assault on teen girls
- Hempfield bicyclist gets one last chance from Westmoreland County judge
- State Supreme Court rejects latest Foxley Farm appeal in Ligonier Township dispute
- Purple Heart recipient Krinock to lead July Fourth parade in Latrobe
- Smithton man gets 6-12 years for robbery in Jeannette
- Independence Day events for Westmoreland County
- Urgent care center planned in Donegal Township
- Group takes veterans, seniors in WWII-era planes at Unity airport
- Three teens injured in one-vehicle crash in Hempfield
- Westmoreland, Allegheny United Way units complete merger
- Copper stolen from construction site at Greensburg museum