TribLIVE

| News

 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Coroner investigating woman's death in Monessen

Email Newsletters

Click here to sign up for one of our email newsletters.

Daily Photo Galleries

'American Coyotes' Series

Traveling by Jeep, boat and foot, Tribune-Review investigative reporter Carl Prine and photojournalist Justin Merriman covered nearly 2,000 miles over two months along the border with Mexico to report on coyotes — the human traffickers who bring illegal immigrants into the United States. Most are Americans working for money and/or drugs. This series reports how their operations have a major impact on life for residents and the environment along the border — and beyond.

By Jennifer Reeger
Monday, Feb. 4, 2013, 12:30 p.m.
 

A Monessen woman may have succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning while trying to dry clothes using her gas oven, the Westmoreland County Coroner's Office reported.

Sandra Y. Troilo, 77, who lived in an apartment at Eastgate Manor, 210 Oneida St., was discovered unresponsive and not breathing by family members about 10:20 a.m. Monday.

When police and paramedics arrived, their personal carbon monoxide detectors were activated, the coroner's office reported.

It appeared that Troilo was using her gas oven to dry clothes, the coroner said.

She was pronounced dead at the scene at 11:49 a.m.

The coroner's office said an autopsy will not be performed. Toxicology tests to determine whether Troilo died of carbon monoxide poisoning and the levels of gas in her body will not be available for several weeks.

Monessen police, who are investigating the incident, were unavailable for comment.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can cause sudden illness or death. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warns against using gas stoves for anything other than cooking — particularly heating — since a buildup of carbon monoxide gas can occur.

Walter Kaminski, deputy executive director of the Westmoreland County Housing Authority, which operates Eastgate Manor, said residents of the floor Troilo lived on were evacuated to another part of the building for a time while fire crews cleared any remaining carbon monoxide from the area.

Kaminski said Troilo was a fairly new resident of the complex.

He said the building has washers and dryers available to residents.

Kaminski added that residents are regularly advised of safety issues, including the proper use of gas appliances.

“The managers are required to have monthly meetings with the tenants,” Kaminski said.

“They go over anything the residents want to talk about. Safety issues, when they are brought up, are addressed, and we have a yearly safety meeting regarding the evacuation of the building, fire drills (and other topics).”

Jennifer Reeger is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-836-6155 or jreeger@tribweb.com.

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.

 

 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read Westmoreland

  1. More than 100 stamp bags confiscated in Greensburg; 4 arrested
  2. Police: Scottdale man had child porn on computer
  3. Sewickley Twp. man who received food stamps didn’t disclose gas royalties
  4. Hempfield cyclist to cool wheels in jail during appeal
  5. Youngwood playground found to be in violation of disability act again
  6. Greensburg Police officer taking job in Harmar
  7. Latrobe police to host National Night Out
  8. Unity zoning hearing board OKs addition to Adelphoi home
  9. Hempfield joins county land bank
  10. Shooting at Hempfield Towers ‘absolutely’ justified, trooper testifies at inquest
  11. Police identify Acme man who died after crash