Hempfield woman scammed out of $4,000
An 82-year-old Hempfield woman told police she received a call Jan. 30 from a man claiming her grandson had been arrested and jailed.
She said she was told she needed to wire $4,000 for his release. She wired the money to an unknown location in Lima, Peru, police said.
She then learned that her grandson was not in prison and that she had fallen victim to a scam, police said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Storm causes scattered power outages in central Westmoreland County
- Judge sentences Arnold man already serving time to prison on federal charges
- Greensburg expected to fill two vacancies
- Jeannette council to consider change in rental ordinance
- Twin Lakes to host grand opening for expansion area that includes dek hockey rink
- Norvelt residents try to preserve community history’s link to Roosevelts
- Pair charged with prostitution-related offenses in South Greensburg
- Hempfield woman donates music inspired by WWI ‘doughnut girls’
- Former Jeannette coach held for trial on charges of assault on teen girls
- Hempfield bicyclist gets one last chance from Westmoreland County judge
- Trial in Monessen homicide of drug dealer nears start