Fayette man sues strip club over attack
A Fayette County man sued a Westmoreland County strip club on Thursday, alleging the club should have done more to protect him from being attacked by a patron.
Daniel Walsh of Perry Township is seeking unspecified punitive damages against the Hi-Way Playground in South Huntingdon and his alleged attacker, Devon Evans, whose address was not listed in the suit.
According to the suit filed in Westmoreland County Court of Common Pleas, Walsh visited the Hi-Way Playground in late July 2011. Walsh said in the suit that he was directed to use an outdoor restroom facility because the club's restrooms were not working.
“While outside, Mr. Walsh encountered ... Evans, who was assaulting his (Evans') girlfriend at the time of the incident,” the lawsuit states.
Walsh said he tried to stop the assault and Evans allegedly “attacked him and cut his face with a sharp object, causing approximately 70 stitches,” according to the suit. Walsh claims he suffered a facial laceration, pain, numbness and a scar.
A search of court records does not show that Devon Evans has been criminally charged.
A manager at the Hi-Way Playground declined to comment because she had not seen the suit or consulted with an attorney.
Hi-Way Playground did not have surveillance or security and if the restrooms had been functional, Walsh wouldn't have encountered Evans, the suit states.
“(Hi-Way Playground) should have reasonably anticipated careless or criminal conduct on the part of third persons,” the suit states.
Walsh said he has faced medical bills and continuous pain as a result of the assault.
Renatta Signorini is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-837-5374 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Visitation parish to hold Longaberger Basket Bingo/Bash
- Event gets new formal name: Shop ’n Save Westmoreland County Airshow, presented by Xcoal Energy & Resources in Latrobe
- Zoning update raises fears in Ligonier Township
- North Huntingdon man accused of road rage altercation in Westmoreland
- Reputed major heroin trafficker in Westmoreland County pleads guilty, gets prison sentence
- Jeannette teen, charged with killing another, took ‘selfie’ with body, court papers say
- Baby sitter arraigned on assault charges; Hempfield woman high on heroin, state police say
- Court in the Classroom program provides insight for Norwin High School students
- Auction nets $20,000 from ill-gotten gain in slaying, theft from Washington County woman
- Southwest Greensburg chef moves from restaurant into W.Pa. schools