Jeannette man's guilty plea delayed in van assault
A Jeannette man was given two months to get his personal belongings into a storage unit and make arrangements for his six cats before he pleads guilty to running over a woman in a Hempfield parking lot last year.
Judge Al Bell on Friday permitted Terrence Lee Stubbs, 54, to enter a guilty plea in two months. Stubbs's attorney, Louis Kober, requested that a sentence be deferred to allow Stubbs time to prepare.
“He has to make arrangements to rent a storage space,” Kober told Bell.
Stubbs had been scheduled to plead guilty on Friday. Assistant District Attorney Thomas Grace said prosecutors were recommending a sentence of two to four years in a state prison in exchange for Stubbs pleading guilty to aggravated assault and aggravated assault by vehicle.
He allegedly cursed multiple times at Kim Fetter of Harrison City on Oct. 11, 2011. She asked Stubbs to move his van when she was unable to exit her car because Stubbs allegedly parked his van too close.
Stubbs moved his van in the Dollar Tree parking lot in Hempfield Plaza along Route 30.
When Fetter returned from shopping, she and Stubbs exchanged words. She photographed Stubbs' license plate number with her cellphone. Stubbs allegedly put his van in reverse and struck Fetter twice.
On Friday, Stubbs told Bell that he had hoped the negotiated sentence would be shorter and that he would be able to keep his apartment while incarcerated.
“I expected to pay my rent for a year,” Stubbs said.
Bell scheduled a plea hearing for April.
“You have two months — that's it,” he said.
Fetter suffered knee and ankle sprains and a head contusion. Restitution is “substantial,” and a final amount has not been determined, Grace said.
Renatta Signorini is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-837-5374 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Painter sues Westmoreland County commissioner over payment
- Motorcyclist hospitalized after hitting deer in Derry
- North Carolina man sent nude photo to 8-year-old girl in Grapeville, police say
- Police: Dirt bike rider struck man, fought officers in Jeannette
- Hempfield prison film canceled because of Pa. budget impasse
- Volunteers play important role in success of SummerSounds concert series in Greensburg
- East Huntingdon veterinarian seeks to prevent former mentor from opening nearby clinic
- Death penalty considered for Rostraver man accused in bludgeoning death of sister’s boyfriend
- 2 women held for trial in Fayette mobile home park shooting
- State inspection shows deficiencies at Westmoreland Manor nursing home
- Excela Health has plan in works for orthopedic medical mall in Hempfield