State grant will help fund new Westmoreland public safety building
Westmoreland County will receive a $612,500 grant to help pay for the construction of a public safety building at Arnold Palmer Regional Airport in Unity, the state Bureau of Aviation said Thursday. With the state grant, plus an $850,000 grant from the Richard King Mellon Foundation and a $900,000 allocation from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, the Westmoreland County Airport Authority and Westmoreland County will be able to cover the cost of the public safety building, said Gabe Monzo, executive director of the airport authority.
The funds also will pay for some enhancements, he said.
The $1.8 million facility will be built at the southern end of the airport. The 10,000-square-foot building will serve as training center for local emergency responders and a backup center for the Public Safety building on Donohoe Road in Hempfield, according to Dan Stevens, spokesman for the county Department of Public Safety.
The grant is from the capital budget of the state's Transportation Assistance Program. The grants are administered by PennDOT's Bureau of Aviation.
Westmoreland County received part of a $10 million allocation from the state for projects at 10 airports across Pennsylvania.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Extremes in weather hurt crops in Westmoreland
- Hempfield man serving life without parole for killing wife tells judge he’ll pay restitution when he’s released
- Death row inmate Smyrnes claims isolation cruel and unusual punishment in Westmoreland County case
- Police: Scottdale man had child porn on computer
- Man charged with hitting girlfriend with car in East Huntingdon reaches plea agreement
- More than 100 stamp bags confiscated in Greensburg; 4 arrested
- Sutersville ready to sell former church
- Sewickley Twp. man who received food stamps didn’t disclose gas royalties
- Hempfield joins county land bank
- Kecksburg celebrates its UFO history with annual festival
- McKeesport man ordered to trial in New Stanton hotel homicide