Fire strikes South Huntingdon bar; firefighters able to save business
A state police fire marshal is investigating a blaze in a South Huntingdon bar that went up in flames early Sunday.
Firefighters were called to Jay's Bar & Restaurant along Markeys Road near the Yukon neighborhood at 8 a.m. Yukon Fire Department Chief Gary Moore said the fire appeared to have started in the basement and spread up to the first floor.
The original building is one story, and a two-story addition made room for a dining area, he said.
“We're not able to determine a solid source of what started the fire,” he said.
Firefighters were able to contain the blaze and salvage the building. The bar area sustained the most damage.
“We don't believe it to be a total loss,” Moore said.
No one was inside at the time of the blaze, and no injuries were reported. Seven fire departments assisted in fighting the fire, while several others provided auxiliary support, Moore said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Housing market remains ‘disaster’ in Westmoreland County
- ‘Extreme extrovert’ takes over at WCCC
- Westmoreland judges’ caseloads unlikely to affect district boundary changes
- Northampton man has four major drug arrests in Western Pa. since 2009
- New Ohiopyle park manager ready for big challenge that comes with job
- Chemical mix sickens two from South Greensburg
- Pitt presents Web resource to combat OD deaths
- Mt. Pleasant seeks on-street bike trail through downtown
- Latrobe law firm’s secretary pleads guilty to income tax evasion
- Mt. Pleasant alumni lead campaign to buy handicapped-accessible van for former classmate
- Jeannette traffic stop leads to drug charges