| News

Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Fire strikes South Huntingdon bar; firefighters able to save business

Eric Schmadel | Tribune-Review
Firefighters prepare to clean up after a fire at Jay's Bar and Restaurant on February 24, 2013 near Yukon.

Email Newsletters

Click here to sign up for one of our email newsletters.
Monday, Feb. 25, 2013, 12:01 a.m.

A state police fire marshal is investigating a blaze in a South Huntingdon bar that went up in flames early Sunday.

Firefighters were called to Jay's Bar & Restaurant along Markeys Road near the Yukon neighborhood at 8 a.m. Yukon Fire Department Chief Gary Moore said the fire appeared to have started in the basement and spread up to the first floor.

The original building is one story, and a two-story addition made room for a dining area, he said.

“We're not able to determine a solid source of what started the fire,” he said.

Firefighters were able to contain the blaze and salvage the building. The bar area sustained the most damage.

“We don't believe it to be a total loss,” Moore said.

No one was inside at the time of the blaze, and no injuries were reported. Seven fire departments assisted in fighting the fire, while several others provided auxiliary support, Moore said.

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.



Show commenting policy

Most-Read Westmoreland

  1. Woman foils robbery attempt in Pleasant Unity
  2. Greensburg man, out on bond, ID’d in robbery
  3. Irwin class helps recovering addicts, families find peace through art
  4. Monessen man gets long prison term, then gets married
  5. Unity prowling suspect sought
  6. Hempfield students get court lesson as judge holds hearings in high school
  7. Unity day care operator loses appeal of sentence
  8. Hempfield man hurt in tractor accident
  9. Scanner installed at Unity airport
  10. Push for budget, Southmoreland board president urges residents
  11. Cancer fundraiser pays tribute to Donegal man