Fire strikes South Huntingdon bar; firefighters able to save business
Published: Monday, February 25, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Monday, February 25, 2013
A state police fire marshal is investigating a blaze in a South Huntingdon bar that went up in flames early Sunday.
Firefighters were called to Jay's Bar & Restaurant along Markeys Road near the Yukon neighborhood at 8 a.m. Yukon Fire Department Chief Gary Moore said the fire appeared to have started in the basement and spread up to the first floor.
The original building is one story, and a two-story addition made room for a dining area, he said.
“We're not able to determine a solid source of what started the fire,” he said.
Firefighters were able to contain the blaze and salvage the building. The bar area sustained the most damage.
“We don't believe it to be a total loss,” Moore said.
No one was inside at the time of the blaze, and no injuries were reported. Seven fire departments assisted in fighting the fire, while several others provided auxiliary support, Moore said.
- Smoking in school costs New Florence man more than a fine
- Memorial Day events set in Westmoreland, Fayette
- Police seek suspect in Derry Twp. exposure incident
- Mt. Pleasant to dedicate digital wall honoring veterans
- Former Jeannette hospital attracts Calif. buyer
- Fireworks to honor Greensburg Community Days organizer Koval
- Challenger posts stunning upset in Monessen mayoral race
- Suspect surrenders in Penn Township foundry evacuation
- Westmoreland County transit union unhappy in talks
- Bank sues to stop Jeannette’s $235,000 payment in court case
- Democrats in close race for Greensburg Council nominations
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.