Fire strikes South Huntingdon bar; firefighters able to save business
A state police fire marshal is investigating a blaze in a South Huntingdon bar that went up in flames early Sunday.
Firefighters were called to Jay's Bar & Restaurant along Markeys Road near the Yukon neighborhood at 8 a.m. Yukon Fire Department Chief Gary Moore said the fire appeared to have started in the basement and spread up to the first floor.
The original building is one story, and a two-story addition made room for a dining area, he said.
“We're not able to determine a solid source of what started the fire,” he said.
Firefighters were able to contain the blaze and salvage the building. The bar area sustained the most damage.
“We don't believe it to be a total loss,” Moore said.
No one was inside at the time of the blaze, and no injuries were reported. Seven fire departments assisted in fighting the fire, while several others provided auxiliary support, Moore said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Burglars strike 3 businesses in Hempfield plaza
- Greensburg train station earns honor from Pittsburgh foundation
- Latrobe top cop questions testing for police promotions
- Lawyers standing by to help needy in Westmoreland County
- 9 miles of roads to be paved in Hempfield
- Proposed Mt. Pleasant budget plan includes deficit, tax hike
- Tenant charged in fire that destroyed Latrobe apartment house
- Ex-Delmont man found dead in Florida
- Vandals ruin Ligonier Township farmers’ garden
- Unity resident again accused of burglary
- Pair of zoning requests denied by Unity board