Indiana County man killed by fallen limb
A 30-year-old Indiana County man was killed Sunday while clearing trees from a field, according to Indiana County Coroner Michael Baker.
Jason William Drew of 788 Laurel Road was pronounced dead at the scene of the 2 p.m. accident on land leased by the Reeger Farm, just off Anthony Road in Center Township.
Authorities said Drew was using an extended chain saw to cut a large branch from a tree about 18 feet overhead when the saw became pinched in the branch. In an effort to free it, he and his uncle, William Reeger, attached a chain around the limb and attempted to release the saw by pulling on the chain with a tractor as Drew stood beneath it holding onto the saw.
The limb snapped unexpectedly and fell onto Drew, Baker said. He was pronounced dead at the scene at 2:50 p.m. by Chief Deputy Coroner Jerry Overman.
Baker reported Drew died from blunt-force trauma to the head and ruled the death an accident. No autopsy is planned and toxicology tests are pending.
Baker said the initial call to the Indiana County 911 Center was received about 2:15 p.m. Citizens' Ambulance Service responded to the scene.
State police are still investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident.
Bowser-Minich Funeral Home in Indiana is in charge of arrangements for Drew.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Record-holding female motorcyclist to speak at Lincoln Highway event
- Prison becomes detox center for growing number of inmates with addictions
- Westmoreland County Fair doubles as meet-and-greet for candidates
- Survey finds no clear fix to achieving racial diversity in Westmoreland County
- Renovations a go on historic La Rose building in downtown Greensburg
- Westmoreland County Animal Response Team seeks money for new space
- Franklin Regional stabbing suspect Hribal to head to adult prison after Oct. 1
- Man gets probation for sex with teen girl in New Kensington
- Hempfield prison film canceled because of Pa. budget impasse
- ‘Perfect’ skies draw big crowds to Westmoreland Fair
- Greensburg man charged with terroristic threats