Derry OKs new school calendar
By Greg Reinbold
Published: Friday, March 8, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Wednesday, April 3, 2013
The Derry Area School Board approved the school calendar for the 2013-14 academic year at Thursday evening's regular meeting.
Students will start the school year Aug. 28 with the last day of instruction set for June 4.
The last instructional day of the calendar year will be Dec. 20. Teachers will have an in-service day Dec. 23, which could alternatively be used as the district's first snow makeup day. Classes will resume Jan. 6.
“I hope the students (in the audience) are all right with us adding 18 days to the school year,” board member Joseph Soltis joked.
The board voted to employ Kristina Planinsek as the district's “elementary online learning coordinator,” beginning today, at a prorated salary based on the number of days remaining in the school year and the number of K-7 students enrolled in the program.
The board also approved seven volunteer coaches for the spring sports season, three for baseball, three for track and one for boys' volleyball: former Derry standout Logan Patterson, who is now starring as an outside hitter for the St. Francis University men's volleyball team.
Greg Reinbold is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-459-6100, ext. 2913.
- Police: Mt. Pleasant beating victim, son forged prescriptions
- 27 witnesses to testify in Greensburg heroin trafficking case
- New Alexandria woman charged with carrying 96 bags of heroin
- Pa. Supreme Court: Judges still have to retire at 70
- Mt. Pleasant district has superintendent candidate
- Westmoreland County Prison nears its capacity
- Jeannette increases building inspections to crack down on absentee landlords
- Century-old Ruffsdale distillery warehouse to be sold piece by piece
- Memorial fund to help Action for Animals Humane Society in Derry Township
- Delmont tackles smell, sewage debt problems from faulty pumps
- Westmoreland municipal authority signs $100K deal with IUP for water quality inspections
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.