Derry OKs new school calendar
The Derry Area School Board approved the school calendar for the 2013-14 academic year at Thursday evening's regular meeting.
Students will start the school year Aug. 28 with the last day of instruction set for June 4.
The last instructional day of the calendar year will be Dec. 20. Teachers will have an in-service day Dec. 23, which could alternatively be used as the district's first snow makeup day. Classes will resume Jan. 6.
“I hope the students (in the audience) are all right with us adding 18 days to the school year,” board member Joseph Soltis joked.
The board voted to employ Kristina Planinsek as the district's “elementary online learning coordinator,” beginning today, at a prorated salary based on the number of days remaining in the school year and the number of K-7 students enrolled in the program.
The board also approved seven volunteer coaches for the spring sports season, three for baseball, three for track and one for boys' volleyball: former Derry standout Logan Patterson, who is now starring as an outside hitter for the St. Francis University men's volleyball team.
Greg Reinbold is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-459-6100, ext. 2913.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Northampton man has four major drug arrests in Western Pa. since 2009
- ‘Extreme extrovert’ takes over at WCCC
- New Ohiopyle park manager ready for big challenge that comes with job
- Mt. Pleasant seeks on-street bike trail through downtown
- Dog-training program gives prison inmates chance to give back
- Western Pa. volunteers battle wildfires in West
- Chemical mix sickens two from South Greensburg
- Mt. Pleasant alumni lead campaign to buy handicapped-accessible van for former classmate
- Greater Latrobe-Laurel Valley Community Chamber of Commerce to honor Arnie’s pal ‘Doc’
- St. Michael’s volunteers cook up festival delights
- Yukon kennel founder jailed for allegedly threatening workers