Derry OKs new school calendar
The Derry Area School Board approved the school calendar for the 2013-14 academic year at Thursday evening's regular meeting.
Students will start the school year Aug. 28 with the last day of instruction set for June 4.
The last instructional day of the calendar year will be Dec. 20. Teachers will have an in-service day Dec. 23, which could alternatively be used as the district's first snow makeup day. Classes will resume Jan. 6.
“I hope the students (in the audience) are all right with us adding 18 days to the school year,” board member Joseph Soltis joked.
The board voted to employ Kristina Planinsek as the district's “elementary online learning coordinator,” beginning today, at a prorated salary based on the number of days remaining in the school year and the number of K-7 students enrolled in the program.
The board also approved seven volunteer coaches for the spring sports season, three for baseball, three for track and one for boys' volleyball: former Derry standout Logan Patterson, who is now starring as an outside hitter for the St. Francis University men's volleyball team.
Greg Reinbold is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-459-6100, ext. 2913.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Westmoreland subsidy that helps finance Spirit Airlines draws scrutiny
- Latrobe infant found in filth, police say
- Fickle weather gives pumpkin growers in Pennsylvania fits
- East Deer man chastised by Westmoreland judge, paroled, released
- Greensburg mayor race features write-in hopeful vs. businessman
- Officials criticize West Newton code enforcement officer
- Driver held for trial in crash that killed Yukon man
- Cancer fundraiser pays tribute to Donegal man
- 3 men held for trial in Jeannette assault
- Irwin class helps recovering addicts, families find peace through art
- Hempfield woman bounces back from serious car crash