Ex-Greensburg Central Catholic football player sues, alleging threat
A former football player at Greensburg Central Catholic High School sued the Diocese of Greensburg on Thursday, alleging he was threatened and knocked unconscious by an assistant coach last year during summer practice, according to a suit filed in Westmoreland County.
Tyler Alt, 19, of Hempfield, said he suffered a traumatic brain injury, concussion and cuts on his face when he was struck by then-assistant coach Dante Parker, according to the suit. Parker is not listed as a defendant in the suit.
Alt left Greensburg Central Catholic and graduated in 2012 from Quaker Valley High School in Allegheny County.
Jerry Zufelt, a spokesman for the diocese, said he had not seen the lawsuit and could not comment on it.
Alt, who is listed as a center on the football team of Elon University in Alamance County, N.C., said in the lawsuit that he suffered an asthma attack in August during running drills and went to the locker room. Parker followed him and warned him: “Don't ever do it again ... I'll run you till you die,” he claims.
During practice later that day, Parker and Alt allegedly got into an argument during a punishment drill, and Parker hit Alt in the face, knocking the 6-foot-3-inch, 282-pound football player unconscious, according to the suit.
Alt was taken to Excela Health Westmoreland Hospital in Greensburg and transferred to Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, according to the complaint.
Richard Gazarik is a staff writer for Trib Total Media.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rival Westmoreland vape shops develop own specialties
- 3 injured in crash that ties up Route 22 in Salem for nearly 8 hours
- 10 escape Greensburg house fire
- Three teens injured in one-vehicle crash in Hempfield
- Exotic pet show held monthly in New Stanton
- Greensburg torture killer Marinucci returns to court seeking lighter sentence
- Hempfield Area balances budget with 1.79-mill tax increase
- St. Vincent professor, students use interviews for drug addiction data
- Unity to decide July 9 on disputed gas station
- Hempfield dentist-turned-missionary-turned-author offers advice for youths
- Hempfield man pleads guilty in crime spree in North Huntingdon, Jeannette, Unity