Police investigate blackmail through Skype in Hempfield
State police are investigating an apparent extortion attempt that occurred over video-calling service Skype.
Trooper Steve Limani said an 18-year-old township female exposed herself to a man, who videotaped the encounter without her knowledge sometime between Sept. 1 and March 5. The man later showed the teen the video and requested $100.
Troopers are in the process of obtaining search warrants in hopes of identifying a suspect, Limani said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- ‘Doc Hope’ eases into retirement from West Newton veterinary clinic
- Traveling amateur organists entertain fellow seniors with oldies music
- Westmoreland County municipalities push to clean up litter, dumps
- Route 217 bridge work about to start in Derry Borough
- Spirit Airlines lifts fortunes of Arnold Palmer Regional Airport
- Wyano woman accused of sex with 15-year-old boy
- 2 Hempfield Area students charged with sexting
- Hempfield man dies in single-vehicle accident
- Greensburg mayor decides not to run again; Bell unchallenged as successor
- Land costs for New Stanton turnpike interchange project reach $4.2M
- Mistaken identity leads to drug bust at Westmoreland County Courthouse