Tilted tractor-trailer forces closure of Route 119 off-ramp
By Jennifer Reeger
Published: Friday, March 15, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Friday, March 15, 2013
A flatbed tractor-trailer carrying bags of mulch overturned on an off-ramp from Route 119 near New Stanton Thursday afternoon, forcing the closure of the ramp for several hours.
The incident occurred around 2:15 p.m. on the off-ramp from Route 119 North to the Pennsylvania Turnpike and Interstate 70 West, said Bryan Brady, third assistant chief of New Stanton Volunteer Fire Department.
Brady said it appears the driver was going too fast and his load shifted, causing the truck to turn onto its side.
The driver was treated at the scene for minor cuts and bruises on his hand. No other vehicles were involved, Brady said.
The truck was hauling bags of mulch on pallets. Employees of Proscape, a landscaping business in New Stanton, were called to the scene to clear the bags from the road, Brady said.
Traffic was diverted around the ramp during the cleanup, which lasted about three hours.
Brady said this was the second time in about a year that a truck carrying mulch overturned in that location.
The last incident involved a truck carrying bulk mulch.
“You can see the old mulch from last year still in the berm area,” Brady said.
Jennifer Reeger is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-836-6155 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Bilik DeFazio leads race on both ballots
- Challenger posts stunning upset in Monessen mayoral race
- Mt. Pleasant mayor victorious
- Four Greensburg Salem candidates get both parties' backing
- Democratic newcomer, incumbents to vie for seats on Latrobe Council
- Councilwoman Wolford wins Latrobe Democratic mayoral nod
- Incumbents fare well in Latrobe School board balloting
- Jacobelli bests Carter to win Jeannette mayoral nod
- GOP leader gets nod for Westmoreland prothonotary
- Navy veteran gets Patriot Award
- Four appear to lock up positions on Norwin School Board
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.