Sewickley Creek Watershed group presents first community awards
Sewickley Creek Watershed Association presented community awards for the first time to acknowledge stewards of the watershed.
“We decided this past year that we wanted to recognize other environmental leaders in the community,” said board member Larry D. Myers. Yough High School was given the Environmental Education Leader Award at the association's annual fundraising banquet March 9.
Students of industrial arts teacher Bill Janiro built an interpretive trail and two-sided kiosk with attached benches that displays a sign to explain the abandoned mine discharge remediation facility in the Sewickley Township village of Lowber.
The project, funded by state grant money, was part of the first phase in creating educational programs alongside the lagoons, which filter 99 percent of the iron oxide from Sewickley Creek.
Hepler's Hardware of Youngwood was recognized as Environmental Business Leader. Store founder Bob Hepler and his family have donated materials and services to the watershed association, Myers said.
Jason Farbaugh of the Pennsylvania Game Commission's Wildlife Conservation Office was honored for Community Environmental Service.
Water specialist with Westmoreland Conservation District Rob Cronauer and Lou Stout of Sewickley Township both received Volunteer of the Year Awards for their dedication and service to natural resource conservation efforts.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Police on hunt for suspects in unrelated Penn Township, Manor cases
- Families welcome new members on Adoption Day in Westmoreland County
- Food drive volunteer in Westmoreland County has purse stolen
- Walker: Applebees to help Jacobs Creek Area Faith in Action
- Fall fly-by: Blue Angels stop in Unity to discuss 2015 show
- Grease in Youngwood sewer system prompts another look at rule
- Westmoreland County, state AG to get funds from illegal lottery
- West Newton will consider temporary road after train accident cut off neighborhood
- Jeannette man pleads guilty to attempting to entice child in Louisiana
- Man charged in New Stanton Sunoco robbery
- Woman sought in robbery in Unity