Connellsville contractor pleads guilty to theft
A Connellsville home improvement contractor pleaded guilty on Friday to bilking eight Westmoreland County property owners for repairs that were never completed.
Raymond Spoljarick, 38, said it was in his best interest to admit guilt.
Prosecutors contended that from 2009 through 2011 Spoljarick took nearly $42,000 from property owners in Hempfield and North Huntingdon for home improvements. The work was never completed, according to Jackie Knupp, an assistant district attorney.
In court on Friday, Spoljarick pleaded guilty to theft and other related offenses.
“This was not a case where he was going door to door to dupe people. His personal life fell apart and he didn't follow through,” said defense attorney Patricia Elliott.
Spoljarick could be ordered to serve jail time when he is sentenced in about three months by Judge John E. Blahovec.
The judge told Spoljarick he would benefit by repaying his victims as much as possible. Spoljarick has saved $12,000 toward restitution, according to Elliott.
His victims, though, said that amount is not enough and want Spoljarick to serve jail time.
James Robertson of North Huntingdon testified Friday that he paid $5,700 for roofing and deck work that was never completed. Robertson said he had to borrow money from his retirement account to pay for the work.
Rich Cholodofsky is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-830-6293 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Juvenile status hearing, trial delayed in Franklin Regional stabbings
- North Huntingdon man injured, dog dies in house fire
- Burglars strike 3 businesses in Hempfield plaza
- Lawyers standing by to help needy in Westmoreland County
- Greensburg train station earns honor from Pittsburgh foundation
- Latrobe top cop questions testing for police promotions
- Proposed Mt. Pleasant budget plan includes deficit, tax hike
- 9 miles of roads to be paved in Hempfield
- Tenant charged in fire that destroyed Latrobe apartment house
- Motorcyclist killed after striking pole in Penn Township
- Ligonier Township K-9 officer home to recover from deadly collision