Saltsburg man sentenced for homicide by vehicle
Published: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Tuesday, March 19, 2013
A Saltsburg man was ordered to report to jail on March 24 to begin serving a three- to six-year sentence for killing his friend in a car crash nearly two years ago.
Clifford Porterfield, 56, was sentenced on Monday on his conviction in November of homicide by vehicle while driving under the influence.
During a nonjury trial, prosecutors said Porterfield was drunk on May 13, 2011, when he crashed his sport-utility vehicle in Loyalhanna Township.
Ronald Puzak, 43, of Saltsburg died from injuries he suffered in the crash.
Police said Porterfield lost control of his vehicle, which skidded across the road, scraped a guide rail and went airborne for about 20 feet before it hit a tree.
Puzak died from blunt-force trauma to his abdomen.
During the trial before Westmoreland County Judge John Blahovec, prosecutors said Porterfield had a blood alcohol level of 0.15 percent, nearly twice the limit a motorist is considered to be intoxicated in Pennsylvania, 0.08 percent.
Porterfield testified that Puzak, who was seated in the passenger's seat, caused the crash when he shoved the driver. Porterfield claimed the two fought because he learned Puzak had tried to quit his job earlier that day.
- Murrysville drivers will enjoy green all the way on Route 22 as traffic engineers adjust signals
- Mt. Pleasant district renews food contract
- Pair denied contact once baby born
- Jamie’s Dream Team helps young mother see her children attend prom
- Hempfield man gets 5 to 10 years in prison for firing at troopers in what lawyer called an ‘anomaly’
- Belle Vernon family suing VFD over crash
- Hempfield man to be jailed 5 days in stalking
- Hempfield man gets life in prison for killing girlfriend during fight over spilled noodles
- Judge to stay on in Knight death penalty case
- Simpson Voting House reopens for elections with ‘Keystone of Democracy’ designation
- State seeks to unload 123-acre Hempfield prison site
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.