Greensburg police probe possible drug overdose death
Authorities said they are investigating the death of a 30-year-old Greensburg man as a possible drug overdose.
James Schmidgal was pronounced dead at 7:12 p.m. on Thursday by Westmoreland County Deputy Coroner Tim O'Donnell. He was found unresponsive in a bed at 216 Seminary Ave., Greensburg police said.
Authorities planned to do an autopsy.
“At this time, there's no sign of it being suspicious,” police Capt. George Seranko said.
Police and the coroner's office said they found a spoon, a syringe and lighter near Schmidgal, along with three empty stamp bags of heroin, a full stamp bag and prescription medication.
The coroner's office will rule on the cause and manner of death after receiving toxicology results, Chief Deputy Coroner Paul Cycak said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Coming off hill revives Seton Hill University, downtown Greensburg
- Charges filed in stolen property investigation
- Deputies nixed by county commissioners for Westmoreland Air Show
- Ligonier YMCA expansion back in court
- Greensburg Hempfield Area Library board to consider tax referendum
- Wrongful death suit against Westmoreland Manor settled
- Marathoner hit by vehicle in Murrysville recuperates
- ‘Bride’ goes on at Geyer theater in Scottdale
- Latrobe pharmacy will offer overdose antidote
- Mt. Pleasant Township home destroyed by fire
- Fines against MAX Environmental up to Westmoreland judge