Greensburg police probe possible drug overdose death
Authorities said they are investigating the death of a 30-year-old Greensburg man as a possible drug overdose.
James Schmidgal was pronounced dead at 7:12 p.m. on Thursday by Westmoreland County Deputy Coroner Tim O'Donnell. He was found unresponsive in a bed at 216 Seminary Ave., Greensburg police said.
Authorities planned to do an autopsy.
“At this time, there's no sign of it being suspicious,” police Capt. George Seranko said.
Police and the coroner's office said they found a spoon, a syringe and lighter near Schmidgal, along with three empty stamp bags of heroin, a full stamp bag and prescription medication.
The coroner's office will rule on the cause and manner of death after receiving toxicology results, Chief Deputy Coroner Paul Cycak said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Derry Area proposes 2-mill tax increase
- 2 from Westmoreland County charged in child porn investigation
- Westmoreland used car dealers indicted in fraud
- Unity municipal authority to impose 5 percent late fee
- Sewickley Township agrees to lease for land for playground
- Travel restrictions to be lifted on Route 30 in Hempfield
- Charges dismissed against former Westmoreland jail guard accused of sex with inmate
- Penn Township man pleads guilty to assaulting 3 police officers
- Brutal winter hits Latrobe water system pipes, budget
- Water service to be interrupted in New Stanton area
- Lawyers for convicted killer Smyrnes want info about death row