North Huntingdon contractor charged with fraud
A North Huntingdon contractor was arraigned on Thursday on allegations he stole more than $36,000 from an elderly Greensburg man for home improvements never finished.
Raymond Kollar, 56, was arraigned before Greensburg District Judge James Albert on charges of home improvement fraud, theft and receiving stolen property.
Kollar received advance payments from an 82-year-old man between August and this month and never finished the work, Greensburg police Detective Sgt. Henry Fontana said.
A person who helps the alleged victim with his finances noticed “Mr. Kollar was hired to do several projects but nothing appears to be finished and the price he charged for some of the jobs appears to be overpriced,” according to court records.
Kollar started roof and porch work several weeks ago and didn't finish it, police said. Ladders remain in place against the elderly man's home, investigators said.
Authorities estimated the victim paid Kollar at least $36,400.
Kollar is not registered under the Home Improvement Consumer Protection Act, police said, and his registration with the state Attorney General's office expired on July 22, 2011.
Westmoreland County detectives charged Kollar with similar crimes stemming from a 2012 incident in Jeannette, according to county court records. That case has not been resolved.
Kollar, who was jailed in lieu of posting $10,000 straight bond on the latest charges, faces a preliminary hearing before Albert on Thursday.
Bob Stiles is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-836-6622 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Housing market remains ‘disaster’ in Westmoreland County
- Westmoreland judges’ caseloads unlikely to affect district boundary changes
- New Ohiopyle park manager ready for big challenge that comes with job
- Mt. Pleasant seeks on-street bike trail through downtown
- Northampton man has four major drug arrests in Western Pa. since 2009
- ‘Extreme extrovert’ takes over at WCCC
- St. Michael’s volunteers cook up festival delights
- Dog-training program gives prison inmates chance to give back
- Restitution closes chapter for New Stanton mother
- Western Pa. volunteers battle wildfires in West
- Reputed leader of motorcycle gang returned to Pa. to face charges