Sparkly 'princess of Greensburg' loved to take charge
A “girly girl” who loved all things glittery and shiny, Kaeleigh Beregi loved playing outdoors.
“You could find her at the lake wearing her pink tutu and her sparkly sunglasses, fishing with the boys,” said her mother, Laura Beregi.
Kaeleigh Jo Beregi of Greensburg died on Sunday, April 14, 2013, at her home. She was 9.
Diagnosed with neuroblastoma at age 2, Kaeleigh battled the illness, but remission led to relapse several times, her mother said.
A former student at Amos K. Hutchinson Elementary School, Kaeleigh was being home-schooled in the third grade this year, Beregi said.
Her daughter enjoyed being the “boss” of play plans involving her brother Jordan Beregi, 8, and sister Alaynah Chalfant, 4.
“She loved doing crafts. She always wanted to be a ballerina. She had about eight jobs picked out, from doctor to nurse to teacher to rock star. She had a full agenda going on,” Beregi said.
On March 10, White Oak-based nonprofit Jamie's Dream Team granted Kaeleigh's dream to be a princess for a day.
Kaeleigh arrived in a horse-drawn carriage to Ferrante's Lakeview restaurant in Hempfield. She and her guests enjoyed a party, including a performance by Greensburg's Laurel Ballet dancers.
Jamie Holmes founded her charity in 2005 to grant dreams for the terminally ill and injured.
Holmes was unavailable for comment, but she posted the following on Jamie's Dream Team's Facebook page:
“On the evening of April 14th, our Princess Kaeleigh joined the other Princesses in Heaven, and she earned her own Angel wings. All of us who were blessed and honor(ed) to have met Kaeleigh will always remember her as the Princess of Greensburg, who reigned over Lakeview.”
In addition to her mother, sister and brother, Kaeleigh is survived by her father, Anthony Beregi of Harrison City; her stepfather, Ryan Chalfant; grandparents and extended family members.
Friends will be received from 2 to 4 and 6 to 8 p.m. Thursday in Vaia Funeral Home Inc., 463 Athena Drive in Delmont, where services will be held at 11 a.m. Friday.
Interment will follow in Twin Valley Memorial Park, Delmont.
Mary Pickels is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-836-5401 or email@example.com.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Norwin band director is finding lots of success in return to his alma mater
- Project to tear down former Jeannette District Memorial Hospital on schedule, Excela says
- Jeannette company’s miniature steam engines coveted for decades
- Westmoreland County furloughs weights and measurements director
- Mt. Pleasant man charged with unlawful restraint
- Police gather in Ligonier for Perryopolis officer’s funeral
- Ligonier man’s sentences for slayings upheld
- United Way surplus funds benefit 9 nonprofits in Westmoreland County
- Penn Township man who shot friend gets probation
- Hempfield leaders kill zoning request for townhomes
- Youngwood fire department reaches out to homeless family