Baldwin brothers, Cal U students, arrested when 9 pounds confiscated
Two Baldwin brothers, students at California University of Pennsylvania, were arrested after at least 9 pounds of suspected marijuana were confiscated by state police from a borough home.
Steven J. Powell, 23, and Jesse E. Powell, 18, of 256 Second St., California, were home when members of the state police Drug Interdiction Unit served a search warrant there Tuesday.
Police said the brothers ran a large marijuana operation out of a house where several Cal U hockey players lived, WPXI-TV reported.
On Monday, a parcel containing about 7 pounds of marijuana was delivered to the house, according to a news release issued by state police at Belle Vernon.
Tuesday's search turned up an additional 2 pounds of marijuana, drug paraphernalia and $13,000 in cash, police said.
Both brothers are charged with possession with intent to deliver drugs and possession of drugs and drug paraphernalia.
The Powells were released after they were arraigned before Canonsburg District Judge Jay Weller, court records show. Preliminary hearings will be held at 2 p.m. April 25 before Weller.
Christine Kindl, university spokeswoman, said in a written statement that the students will be subject to Cal U's disciplinary process.
Hockey is a club sport at the university. The team competes in the College Hockey East league, which includes teams from St. Vincent College, Penn State Behrend, University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown and Robert Morris University.
The house where the arrests occurred is off campus and is not owned by the university, Kindl said.
“Each case is handled individually. Sanctions for violating the Student Code of Conduct can range from a disciplinary warning through suspension or even dismissal from the university,” Kindl said. “The Cal U hockey program has its own code of conduct for players, and that will come into play as well. Again, each case is handled individually. Sanctions can range from community service through dismissal from the team.”
Stacey Federoff is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-836-6660.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Mt. Pleasant-based author details area’s ‘Hidden History’
- Westmoreland, Fayette groups open doors to share Thanksgiving meals
- 7 arrested in Latrobe-area drug dealing
- Westmoreland, Fayette towns prepare to ring in holidays
- Woman to stand trial in Jeannette tot’s death
- Psychologist’s compassion buoyed students, friends
- Woman admits to theft of 2 weapons in Latrobe shooting case
- Students learn risks of digital lives at middle school presentation in Hempfield
- New Stanton council hikes garbage fees to $13.65 per month
- Police: Woman tried to start fire at neighbor’s house in Derry Township
- 3 gunmen sought in Hempfield home invasion