Summer Job Fair in Donegal awaits student, adult applicants; seasonal work highlighted
Many students and adults will be looking for summer employment.
The Summer Job Fair, sponsored by the Mountain Laurel Chamber of Commerce, will make job-seekers' goal a little easier by bringing area employers and applicants together under one roof.
“This is something new that we thought we'd try,” chamber Executive Director Kris Enberg said. “This is a way that we can tie in some of our businesses with people in the community who are looking for summer work.”
With many college and high school students seeking employment, the Saturday event will include area businesses that may not be considered potential employers.
Enberg said the idea for the Summer Job Fair was posed to the group by one of its members, Jeffrey Abramowitz, who organized and planned the event
“There are a lot of employers in the area who will be in need of seasonal staff,” said Abramowitz, chamber member and Job Fair Committee chairman. “Whether it be summer or winter, places like Seven Springs, Idlewild Park and Hidden Valley will be looking for staffing.”
Abramowitz said that area schools have been contacted to reach out to students looking for summer work.
“We contacted local high schools and colleges,” Abramowitz said, adding that California University even did an email blast to inform its students of the employment opportunities spotlighted at the fair.
“I've seen these types of fairs work in other areas, and I felt that we could use something like this in our area,” Abramowitz said.
The fair will make the chore of job-searching easier and more economical for many, he said.
“Instead of these students driving from location to location to put in applications, they will all be there under one roof,” Abramowitz explained.
The chamber emphasizes that the event is not only for students in search of seasonal work.
“The job fair is for everyone,” Enberg said. “This is our first, and we hope that it will be something that we will now have every year, that will be a benefit to both our businesses and to members of the community.”
The Summer Job Fair will be held from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at Donegal Community Center, Route 31.
Marilyn Forbes is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- New Ohiopyle park manager ready for big challenge that comes with job
- Mt. Pleasant seeks on-street bike trail through downtown
- ‘Extreme extrovert’ takes over at WCCC
- North Huntingdon man found in Virginia, police say
- Northampton man has four major drug arrests in Western Pa. since 2009
- Trooper: Suspect confessed to fatal Hempfield shooting
- Sale date for Monsour Medical Center in Jeannette finalized by court
- Greater Latrobe-Laurel Valley Community Chamber of Commerce to honor Arnie’s pal ‘Doc’
- Chemical mix sickens two from South Greensburg
- Dog-training program gives prison inmates chance to give back
- Former Jeannette man sentenced for claw hammer attack