Public invited to meet Southmoreland School Board candidates
The Friends of Education from Scottdale have organized a forum, inviting the public to meet and hear comments from the candidates seeking the four open seats on the Southmoreland School Board.
“Your vote for school board candidates is very important. They determine your tax rate and education outcomes,” Friends of Education member Karen Kiefer said. “The forum is open to everyone and all of the candidates have been invited to participate.”
There are seven candidates seeking nominations for the four open positions. They are Robert Callaro, Lois A. Eberly, Heather Wise-Yanko, and incumbents Catherine F. Fike, Levi Miller, Gail Rhodes, and Cheryl Bailey Shipley.
All candidates have cross-filed.
“All the candidates will have the opportunity to introduce themselves and explain what there platforms are,” Kiefer said. “There will also be time for a question and answer period.”
Kiefer said that the candidates have been contacted and she hopes that all will be present at the event.
She said the event will enable the voters and district residents to meet with and talk to the candidates, getting a better idea of what each and every candidate plans to bring to the office if elected.
“Meet the candidates, ask questions, ask how they will vote on taxes, hear their educational philosophy and learn more about the school district, then decide for whom to vote on May 21,” Kiefer said.
An informal gathering will follow the forum.
“We hope that people, both young and old, will come to what we feel will be an interesting and educational evening,” Kiefer said
The forum will take place starting at 7 p.m. Wednesday at the Scottdale Public Library.
Marilyn Forbes is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- East Huntingdon man dies following police chase
- Search for pilot of ultralight aircraft to resume Thursday
- Police: Westmoreland woman forged painkiller prescriptions
- Westmoreland historical society honors efforts by Scaife, Fagan, Norwin group
- Franklin Regional stabbing suspect could leave Pa. for treatment
- Knife-wielding man attacks 2 in Sheetz lot in Greensburg
- Butler blasting worker in North Huntingdon water main break put on probation
- Somerset County man arrested after loaded gun found at Baltimore airport
- Scottdale’s Friends of the Library will meet tonight
- Groups sponsor candidates forum in Monessen
- Bolivar couple charged with endangerment; baby nearly drowned, police say