Trooper threats land Derry Twp. man in jail
A Derry Township man was jailed for allegedly threatening two troopers with a 10-gauge shotgun last week when they went to his home to serve him a warrant for an involuntary commitment for mental health treatment, state police at Greensburg said.
Ronald J. Geary, 54, of Bradenville told troopers John Isoldi and Michael Dzvonik, “How about I come out and shoot you” and “I'm gonna shoot you, trooper” when the officers went to his front door at 5:40 p.m. on April 25,
Geary walked out of his house holding the shotgun and told the troopers to leave. Both officers took cover and drew their weapons, according to the affidavit. After a few seconds, Geary went back inside, then emerged with his hands raised and without the shotgun, police said.
As Geary was being taken to Excela Westmoreland Behavioral Health Adult Inpatient unit in Greensburg, he told troopers, “You guys are so lucky I didn't kill you. I could have shot you,” and “You guys are lucky I didn't bring my semi-auto gun,” according to the affadavit.
Geary was charged with two counts each of aggravated assault, simple assault, terroristic threats and recklessly endangering another person.
He was arraigned Tuesday before Derry Township District Judge Mark Bilik and placed in the Westmoreland County Prison in lieu of $20,000 bond, pending a preliminary hearing scheduled for May 8.
Joe Napsha is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-836-5252 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rostraver man pleads guilty in 2012 deadly wreck on I-70
- Student violinist,Valley School of Ligonier reach settlement
- Greensburg torture slaying participant Marinucci makes second appeal of sentence as unconstitutional
- Training sessions to administer heroin overdose antidote to begin in Derry
- Unity planners recommend OK of church plans
- Tenaska agrees to provide pollution information on proposed South Huntingdon plant
- Study shows Ligonier Borough might save if police consolidate
- Derry Township sponsors hazardous-waste drop
- Youngwood officials consider taking over building inspections
- ‘Music in the Mountains’ gets under way this weekend in Ohiopyle
- Man wields knife in convenience store robbery near Herminie