Director: Stage Right! move 'definite'
Stage Right! will begin moving on Saturday to its new digs in Greensburg, according to the group's executive director.
The school for the performing arts will lease the basement and first floor of the former Fourth Ward school on West Fourth Street from Adelphoi Inc., Chris Orosz said.
The group's two earlier attempted moves — to South Pennsylvania Avenue and on East Pittsburgh Street — fell through for different reasons, at least for the short-term, she said.
“This is a definite,” Orosz said. “I got the lease .. and this is where we're going to be the 27th of this month.”
Michael Langer, Westmoreland Cultural Trust president, asked Stage Right! to move out of its current spot in the trust-owned building on North Main Street by May 27. S&T Trust will move into Stage Right's old spot in the Union Trust Building.
Stage Right! needed a place because of upcoming summer camp, said Dani Womack, Stage Right! board member and secretary-treasurer.
“It's a really good site for us now,” Womack said. “It keeps us still in Greensburg. It's a beautiful old building.”
Stage Right! will continue using The Palace Theatre and the Greensburg Garden and Civic Center for large-scale performances, Orosz and board member Gene James said.
The K.A.R.A.T. school formerly had set up shop in the Fourth Ward school.
“It's a beautiful building, and it will serve us well,” Orosz said.
“It's a beautiful space and because it's owned by another nonprofit, it's priced reasonably,” James added. “The building is in great repair.”
About 200 children, ages 4 to 18 years, are enrolled in Stage Right! with about 70 of them home-schooled.
The preteens will set up shop in the basement, and the remaining students will work on the first floor, where offices will be set up, Orosz said.
The new site has an elevator and a parking lot, both of which Orosz called a “big plus,” but Stage Right! will have to consider building a stage.
Stage Right! probably will keep looking for another site because of the lack of a large stage, Orosz and James said.
“We're going to continue fundraising and look and see what else could be there for us,” Orosz said.
After moving props this Saturday, Stage Right! will move costumes next Saturday, Orosz said.
Most items will be moved on May 23, she added.
Stage Right moved to the trust building in 2006, after opening up shop in the former Advanced Furniture store on South Main Street in Greensburg in 1998.
Bob Stiles is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-836-6622 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- New Florence assistant fire chief charged with having sex with juvenile
- Ligonier council approves design changes to Diamond
- Former Mich. lawmaker uses D.C. trip to lobby for veterans health care
- Woman testifies about alleged sex assault in Arnold
- Latrobe infant found in filth, police say
- Hempfield woman bounces back from serious car crash
- Mt. Pleasant Township Lions Club to host all-you-can-eat pancake breakfast
- Soccer league seeks access to borough’s field at Willows Park
- Youngwood council delays vote on rental property inspections
- Greensburg mayor race features write-in hopeful vs. businessman
- East Deer man chastised by Westmoreland judge, paroled, released