Director: Stage Right! move 'definite'
Stage Right! will begin moving on Saturday to its new digs in Greensburg, according to the group's executive director.
The school for the performing arts will lease the basement and first floor of the former Fourth Ward school on West Fourth Street from Adelphoi Inc., Chris Orosz said.
The group's two earlier attempted moves — to South Pennsylvania Avenue and on East Pittsburgh Street — fell through for different reasons, at least for the short-term, she said.
“This is a definite,” Orosz said. “I got the lease .. and this is where we're going to be the 27th of this month.”
Michael Langer, Westmoreland Cultural Trust president, asked Stage Right! to move out of its current spot in the trust-owned building on North Main Street by May 27. S&T Trust will move into Stage Right's old spot in the Union Trust Building.
Stage Right! needed a place because of upcoming summer camp, said Dani Womack, Stage Right! board member and secretary-treasurer.
“It's a really good site for us now,” Womack said. “It keeps us still in Greensburg. It's a beautiful old building.”
Stage Right! will continue using The Palace Theatre and the Greensburg Garden and Civic Center for large-scale performances, Orosz and board member Gene James said.
The K.A.R.A.T. school formerly had set up shop in the Fourth Ward school.
“It's a beautiful building, and it will serve us well,” Orosz said.
“It's a beautiful space and because it's owned by another nonprofit, it's priced reasonably,” James added. “The building is in great repair.”
About 200 children, ages 4 to 18 years, are enrolled in Stage Right! with about 70 of them home-schooled.
The preteens will set up shop in the basement, and the remaining students will work on the first floor, where offices will be set up, Orosz said.
The new site has an elevator and a parking lot, both of which Orosz called a “big plus,” but Stage Right! will have to consider building a stage.
Stage Right! probably will keep looking for another site because of the lack of a large stage, Orosz and James said.
“We're going to continue fundraising and look and see what else could be there for us,” Orosz said.
After moving props this Saturday, Stage Right! will move costumes next Saturday, Orosz said.
Most items will be moved on May 23, she added.
Stage Right moved to the trust building in 2006, after opening up shop in the former Advanced Furniture store on South Main Street in Greensburg in 1998.
Bob Stiles is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-836-6622 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Westmoreland group gets pet oxygen masks for area fire departments
- Pittsburgh man pleads guilty in Monessen shooting
- Kin of 2013 DUI crash victim in Hempfield lose young family in fire
- DNA evidence in alleged June 2013 rape leads to Latrobe man’s arrest
- Hempfield killer Stahl ordered to pay for slain wife’s funeral
- Mt. Pleasant residents voice support for Zilli as borough police chief
- North Huntingdon church shaken by youth pastor’s child porn rap
- East Huntingdon man, 91, finds 2nd career as a woodworker
- Westmoreland prison online visit program delayed again
- Hempfield makes hay with success of Family Night
- Penn Township standoff leads to discovery of suspected marijuana growing operation