Ligonier Township forest fire under control after 7 hours
Firefighters from several area Ligonier fire companies battled a forest fire in state gamelands Sunday afternoon in a mountainous area between routes 30 and 271 in Ligonier Township, the Westmoreland County Department of Public Safety said.
Firefighters had the blaze under control by around 9:15 p.m., after fighting the fire since around 2 p.m., a spokesman for the Waterford Fire Department said Sunday night.
Firefighters spotted the blaze from the fire hall, the spokesman said.
Fire companies had to haul water to the scene of the fire and used four-wheel drive vehicles to get to the fire.
Firefighters strapped water tanks to their back to extinguish the flames and also used rakes and leaf blowers to battle the blaze, the spokesman said.
The cause of the fire and the origin of the blaze was not yet determined, the spokesman said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Housing market remains ‘disaster’ in Westmoreland County
- Northampton man has four major drug arrests in Western Pa. since 2009
- ‘Extreme extrovert’ takes over at WCCC
- Westmoreland judges’ caseloads unlikely to affect district boundary changes
- Mt. Pleasant seeks on-street bike trail through downtown
- New Ohiopyle park manager ready for big challenge that comes with job
- Jeannette traffic stop leads to drug charges
- Western Pa. volunteers battle wildfires in West
- St. Michael’s volunteers cook up festival delights
- Latrobe law firm’s secretary pleads guilty to income tax evasion
- Golf outing a fitting tribute