Ligonier Township forest fire under control after 7 hours
By The Tribune-Review
Published: Monday, May 6, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
Firefighters from several area Ligonier fire companies battled a forest fire in state gamelands Sunday afternoon in a mountainous area between routes 30 and 271 in Ligonier Township, the Westmoreland County Department of Public Safety said.
Firefighters had the blaze under control by around 9:15 p.m., after fighting the fire since around 2 p.m., a spokesman for the Waterford Fire Department said Sunday night.
Firefighters spotted the blaze from the fire hall, the spokesman said.
Fire companies had to haul water to the scene of the fire and used four-wheel drive vehicles to get to the fire.
Firefighters strapped water tanks to their back to extinguish the flames and also used rakes and leaf blowers to battle the blaze, the spokesman said.
The cause of the fire and the origin of the blaze was not yet determined, the spokesman said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Murrysville woman sues Giant Eagle over burns
- Graziani hired away from Latrobe as Penn Township’s manager
- Judge explains why suspect in East Liberty killings was freed
- Bridge work a priority for PennDOT in Westmoreland
- Hempfield church offers rides to shut-ins for Holy Thursday service
- New Alexandria man charged with assaulting boy in 2009
- Retired postal worker picks $1M winner
- Police see no sign Franklin Regional stabbing suspect was bullied
- Former Scottdale minister Stabe honored by Jacobs Creek Faith in Action
- Community turns out for Franklin Regional students’ return to class
- Derry Borough councilwoman pleads guilty in missing-money case