Ligonier Township forest fire under control after 7 hours
Firefighters from several area Ligonier fire companies battled a forest fire in state gamelands Sunday afternoon in a mountainous area between routes 30 and 271 in Ligonier Township, the Westmoreland County Department of Public Safety said.
Firefighters had the blaze under control by around 9:15 p.m., after fighting the fire since around 2 p.m., a spokesman for the Waterford Fire Department said Sunday night.
Firefighters spotted the blaze from the fire hall, the spokesman said.
Fire companies had to haul water to the scene of the fire and used four-wheel drive vehicles to get to the fire.
Firefighters strapped water tanks to their back to extinguish the flames and also used rakes and leaf blowers to battle the blaze, the spokesman said.
The cause of the fire and the origin of the blaze was not yet determined, the spokesman said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- WCCC fraternity helps fallen Ligonier officer’s family
- Ligonier Valley takes proactive financial steps amid state budget stalemate
- West Newton officials, code officer clear the air
- Jeannette considers trash fee increases
- Police, the Diamond top Ligonier Borough issues
- Mt. Pleasant board looks at refinancing
- Westmoreland County Common Pleas candidates differ on judicial retirement age
- Greensburg council OKs purchase of firetruck
- 4 vie for 3 seats on Latrobe City Council
- Greensburg grocer Charley esteemed for his charity work
- Ohio woman will be millionth passenger to fly out of Arnold Palmer airport