Ligonier Township forest fire under control after 7 hours
Firefighters from several area Ligonier fire companies battled a forest fire in state gamelands Sunday afternoon in a mountainous area between routes 30 and 271 in Ligonier Township, the Westmoreland County Department of Public Safety said.
Firefighters had the blaze under control by around 9:15 p.m., after fighting the fire since around 2 p.m., a spokesman for the Waterford Fire Department said Sunday night.
Firefighters spotted the blaze from the fire hall, the spokesman said.
Fire companies had to haul water to the scene of the fire and used four-wheel drive vehicles to get to the fire.
Firefighters strapped water tanks to their back to extinguish the flames and also used rakes and leaf blowers to battle the blaze, the spokesman said.
The cause of the fire and the origin of the blaze was not yet determined, the spokesman said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- PennDOT prefers keeping Yukon, Madison interchanges; project to require at least 3 new bridges
- Greensburg Salem parents plead for restoration of 3 bus routes
- Two Westmoreland men charged with drug possession
- 2 arrested after Jeannette raid turns up heroin, crack, gun
- Inmate charged with smuggling drugs into Westmoreland prison
- Hempfield officials to review site plan for Excela Health Orthoplex
- Police: Woman faked Mt. Pleasant robbery
- Greensburg torture slaying participant Marinucci makes second appeal of sentence as unconstitutional
- Training sessions to administer heroin overdose antidote to begin in Derry
- Ligonier man accused of beating, strangling woman
- Prison becomes detox center for growing number of inmates with addictions