Ligonier Township forest fire under control after 7 hours
Firefighters from several area Ligonier fire companies battled a forest fire in state gamelands Sunday afternoon in a mountainous area between routes 30 and 271 in Ligonier Township, the Westmoreland County Department of Public Safety said.
Firefighters had the blaze under control by around 9:15 p.m., after fighting the fire since around 2 p.m., a spokesman for the Waterford Fire Department said Sunday night.
Firefighters spotted the blaze from the fire hall, the spokesman said.
Fire companies had to haul water to the scene of the fire and used four-wheel drive vehicles to get to the fire.
Firefighters strapped water tanks to their back to extinguish the flames and also used rakes and leaf blowers to battle the blaze, the spokesman said.
The cause of the fire and the origin of the blaze was not yet determined, the spokesman said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 11 Ligonier Township residents rescued by boat from floodwaters
- Spirit Airlines puts Chicago on its flight path
- Unity planners OK proposal for Route 30 retail development
- Westmoreland historical society holding antiques appraisal
- Hempfield man to plead guilty to posing as policeman
- Harsh February leaves Westmoreland communities short on road salt
- Court in the Classroom program provides insight for Norwin High School students
- West Newton ponders adding to emergency call list
- IRS drops $4.6M lien against former Monsour property in Jeannette
- Zoning update raises fears in Ligonier Township