Challenger defeats incumbent in Export mayoral primary
Democrat challenger Bob Campagna, 74, defeated incumbent Michael Calder, 30, for his party's nomination for Export mayor.
With 100 percent of precincts reporting, Campagna received 53 percent of the votes. Just five votes made the difference.
With no Republicans seeking the nomination, Campagna is virtually assured of re-election, barring any successful write-in campaign.
Calder could not be reached for comment Tuesday night.
Campagna, who has previously served two terms as mayor, thanked his supporters.
“When you're in office, you have to listen to the people,” he said. “They want better security and service.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Housing market remains ‘disaster’ in Westmoreland County
- New Ohiopyle park manager ready for big challenge that comes with job
- Westmoreland judges’ caseloads unlikely to affect district boundary changes
- ‘Extreme extrovert’ takes over at WCCC
- Northampton man has four major drug arrests in Western Pa. since 2009
- Mt. Pleasant seeks on-street bike trail through downtown
- Jeannette traffic stop leads to drug charges
- Chemical mix sickens two from South Greensburg
- Mt. Pleasant alumni lead campaign to buy handicapped-accessible van for former classmate
- Franklin Regional security guard fighting to get job back
- Medical pot advocates speak up at meeting with Sen. Folmer in Export