West Overton Village and Museum seeking participants in photography contest
Hoping to see the museum, property and other buildings that make up West Overton Village and Museum through the eyes of its visitors, the organization is sponsoring a photography contest.
The organization is seeking photos to tell the story of visiting the historic village and museum for its 2013 West Overton Village and Museums Photography Contest.
“The contest will give us an outsider's view of the experience of being here. We are here all the time, and this gives us an outsider's view of our facility,” said Brian Corcoran, president of the West Overton Museums board of directors.
Entries are being accepted now through Aug. 31.
“It's another way for the community to be involved and engaged in West Overton,” said Jessica Kadie Barclay, managing director, West Overton Village & Museums. “We have experienced lots of interest in the contest already.”
Only photos taken at West Overton will be eligible. The photos can range from outdoor shots to interiors.
“We encourage people to come and take some photographs. We have a lot of beautiful settings here at West Overton,” said public relations representative Susan McCarthy.
Entrants may submit an unlimited number of images for the contest. Only full-color images will be eligible. Black and white photos will not be accepted. Only digital photo submissions will be accepted.
West Overton Village and Museums reserves the non-exclusive right to use any photographs entered in the competition in its publications or other promotional purposes. By submitting an application, the applicant agrees that all photographs submitted shall become property of the West Overton Village and Museums.
By submitting this application and photo, the applicant also acknowledges that any persons appearing in submitted photograph(s) have given the applicant and the West Overton Village and Museums consent for reproduction and promotional use.
“We plan to use some of the photos on our website and our Facebook page and possibly other promotional materials,” Barclay said.
A reception is being planned for September, where all entries will be displayed on canvass. Winning photos will be featured that evening.
Cash prizes will be awarded in two categories, Interiors and Exteriors. First place will receive $100, second place $75 and third place $50.
To enter, participants must complete the photography contest form found on the organization's website, westovertonvillage.org and email it with the photo to: firstname.lastname@example.org by Aug. 31, 2013.
Linda Harkcom is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Greensburg plastic surgeon pleads not guilty to charges of interfering with painkiller investigation
- Feud escalates between Westmoreland commissioner, controller
- Wyano woman accused of sex with 15-year-old boy
- Hempfield community group wins park auction
- Westmoreland man charged with firing gun, narrowly missing child
- Part-time prison guards wanted in Westmoreland
- With $4M in bank from municipal authority sale, financially strapped Jeannette exhales
- Westmoreland County’s prison board to consider inmate service projects
- New charges against Hempfield bicyclist possible
- Mt. Pleasant Borough pursues permit parking
- Robber holds up Family Dollar in Greensburg