North Huntingdon officer spots flames at Irwin bar, evacuates apartments
No one was injured in an apartment fire above Frank and Tucci's Bar early Friday morning that cause minor damage and displaced one resident, Irwin Volunteer Fire Department Chief Justin Mochar said.
The fire appears to have been electrical in nature, but authorities continue to investigate, Mochar said.
The bar, at 211 Oak Street, was unoccupied and sustained no damage, he said.
A North Huntingdon police officer spotted smoke and flames while driving through the borough around 12:30 a.m. on patrol, Mochar said. Police called 911, evacuated the building and helped to extinguish the fire, he said.
“(A) couple minutes later, it would have been a lot worse,” Mochar said.
Irwin firefighters responded to put out hot spots and ventilate the building.
One resident's apartment sustained minor damage near a window. The building's owner is providing a vacant apartment to that tenant, Mochar said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- DA wants to use pot evidence in Hempfield slaying trial
- Students learn outside at Westmoreland County’s Envirothon in Hempfield
- Youngwood residents take up cremation site fight
- Ordinance would increase parking fines in Hempfield
- ‘Doc Hope’ eases into retirement from West Newton veterinary clinic
- Rostraver Airport receives federal grant to keep skies above runway clear
- Spirit Airlines lifts fortunes of Arnold Palmer Regional Airport
- Murrysville woman apologizes for scholarship fund theft
- Westmoreland County municipalities push to clean up litter, dumps
- Traveling amateur organists entertain fellow seniors with oldies music
- Route 217 bridge work about to start in Derry Borough