North Huntingdon officer spots flames at Irwin bar, evacuates apartments
No one was injured in an apartment fire above Frank and Tucci's Bar early Friday morning that cause minor damage and displaced one resident, Irwin Volunteer Fire Department Chief Justin Mochar said.
The fire appears to have been electrical in nature, but authorities continue to investigate, Mochar said.
The bar, at 211 Oak Street, was unoccupied and sustained no damage, he said.
A North Huntingdon police officer spotted smoke and flames while driving through the borough around 12:30 a.m. on patrol, Mochar said. Police called 911, evacuated the building and helped to extinguish the fire, he said.
“(A) couple minutes later, it would have been a lot worse,” Mochar said.
Irwin firefighters responded to put out hot spots and ventilate the building.
One resident's apartment sustained minor damage near a window. The building's owner is providing a vacant apartment to that tenant, Mochar said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Tenant charged in fire that destroyed Latrobe apartment house
- Vandals ruin Ligonier Township farmers’ garden
- Southmoreland commencement scheduled for Friday evening
- Westmoreland County Transit Authority to consider raising bus fare rate for paratransit participants
- Westmoreland County Community College trustees approve $38M preliminary budget
- Ligonier Township K-9 officer home to recover from deadly collision
- Ex-Delmont man found dead in Florida
- Unity resident again accused of burglary
- Hempfield hires finance director
- Pair of zoning requests denied by Unity board
- Westmoreland jail warden pushes for full-body scanner to find drugs, contraband