Attic fire in Youngwood home causes heavy damage
By The Tribune-Review
Published: Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
A fire Sunday night in the 200 block of North Fifth Street in Youngwood was caused by an electrical fire in the kitchen ceiling, according to officials.
Firefighters received the fire call about 11:30 p.m.
According to Youngwood Volunteer Fire Department Chief Lloyd Crago, it took about an hour to get the fire under control.
“It was rolling through this big old attic,” he said.
Crago estimated damage at about $40,000, and was unsure if the house is salvageable.
“The entire second floor is gone,” he said.
No one was injured. The owners were not home at the time of the fire, Crago said.
Warm temperatures overnight made the fire more difficult to fight.
“We just kept rotating guys in and out,” Crago said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Jailed Hribal ‘fine,’ but family ‘terrible’ as answers in stabbing sought
- Community turns out for Franklin Regional students’ return to class
- Judge rules Delmont man was not aggressor in assault outside Wal-Mart
- Hempfield Area superintendent, business manager quit
- Vandalizing locks at judge’s office could land man in prison
- Students visit Franklin Regional days after mass stabbing
- Greensburg Salem School District to pay administrator $193K
- Franklin Regional staff try to return to normal for students’ return
- New Mt. Pleasant school district business manager comes with vast experience
- Ligonier Township farm owner says parties did not violate judge’s consent order
- West Newton Council approves seismic testing for natural gas — without trucks