TribLIVE

| News


 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Attic fire in Youngwood home causes heavy damage

About The Tribune-Review
The Tribune-Review can be reached via e-mail or at 412-321-6460.
Contact Us | Video | Photo Reprints

By The Tribune-Review

Published: Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 12:01 a.m.

A fire Sunday night in the 200 block of North Fifth Street in Youngwood was caused by an electrical fire in the kitchen ceiling, according to officials.

Firefighters received the fire call about 11:30 p.m.

According to Youngwood Volunteer Fire Department Chief Lloyd Crago, it took about an hour to get the fire under control.

“It was rolling through this big old attic,” he said.

Crago estimated damage at about $40,000, and was unsure if the house is salvageable.

“The entire second floor is gone,” he said.

No one was injured. The owners were not home at the time of the fire, Crago said.

Warm temperatures overnight made the fire more difficult to fight.

“We just kept rotating guys in and out,” Crago said.

 

 
 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read Westmoreland

  1. Jailed Hribal ‘fine,’ but family ‘terrible’ as answers in stabbing sought
  2. Community turns out for Franklin Regional students’ return to class
  3. Judge rules Delmont man was not aggressor in assault outside Wal-Mart
  4. Hempfield Area superintendent, business manager quit
  5. Vandalizing locks at judge’s office could land man in prison
  6. Students visit Franklin Regional days after mass stabbing
  7. Greensburg Salem School District to pay administrator $193K
  8. Franklin Regional staff try to return to normal for students’ return
  9. New Mt. Pleasant school district business manager comes with vast experience
  10. Ligonier Township farm owner says parties did not violate judge’s consent order
  11. West Newton Council approves seismic testing for natural gas — without trucks
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.