Tire fire in East Huntingdon started as brush fire
A smoky tire fire Tuesday morning in East Huntingdon Township — resulting from a brush fire — was extinguished by about 2:10 p.m. according to Ron Taylor, East Huntingdon assistant chief. Volunteer fire companies from Scottdale, Greensburg, Everson and Bullskin Township assisted at the site.
No cause has been determined.
Taylor said the state police were notified and would see about sending someone to the scene to find the exact cause.
Taylor said the call came in at 10:30 a.m. as a brush fire, which ignited a shed. That fire developed into a tire fire at the former Iron Bridge Auto just off old Route 119 (Mt. Pleasant-Connellsville Road) near the National Envelope plant.
The fire caused a cloud of thick white smoke with flames visible at the base.
Crews were pouring water on the flames, and a foam truck was called in from Greensburg to help smother the fire. A unit from Murrysville set up a tent with cooling equipment to keep the firefighters from developing heat injuries.
Taylor said there were no injuries. Mutual Aid EMS crews were standing by at the scene.
Fire crews from Connellsville Township and Dawson were on standby.
Karl Polacek is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at email@example.com or 724-626-3538.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Re-enactor commits to pioneer lifestyle in Murrysville cabin
- Family of man accused of shooting St. Clair officer say allegations don’t fit his character
- 40 years later, siblings of South Greensburg girl who disappeared still seek closure
- Jeannette trudges through blight
- School lunch group hopes to revise rules it calls impractical, too restrictive
- Indiana County school employee allegedly showed 2 students an inappropriate photo
- Western Pa. students bristle at changing menu choices
- Contractor eyes early finish to work on New Stanton interchange of Interstate 70
- Family collecting donations for Salem man seriously injured in deer stand fall
- Drones hover at top of holiday wish lists
- 2 Greensburg properties left on demo list