Derry Township to demolish structure
Derry Township's board of supervisors voted unanimously on Tuesday to declare a collapsed foundation along Latrobe-Derry Road a public nuisance and begin steps to demolish the structure.
Ken Chrisner, who owns the property, said health and financial issues have kept him from demolishing the foundation or hiring a contractor to do the work.
“It was a block foundation. Somebody just lived in the foundation with a tar roof,” supervisor Dave Slifka said. “He just didn't take care of it. He's not in the best of health, so that's another reason we went that route.”
After the roof collapsed into the foundation, the structure became “an eyesore,” Slifka said. “This is bad. This is one of the worst ones out there right now.”
Slifka estimated the cost of demolition between $3,000 and $4,000 but said savings could be realized if the township is able to perform some of the work.
“It could change a little bit,” Slifka said of the estimates. “It depends on what we can do ourselves. We might be able to backfill or something. There's all kinds of costs. (We'll do) whatever we can do to help reduce it.”
The costs would be conveyed to a lien on the property.
The supervisors approved a resolution to sign a reimbursement agreement between the township and PennDOT for bridge inspection projects totaling $60,510. Under the agreement, the federal government, through PennDOT, will pay 80 percent — about $48,000 — while the township covers the remaining 20 percent.
All bridges spanning 20 feet or more must be inspected biannually, board chairman Vince DeCario said.
The supervisors also approved a holding tank agreement with C&D Coal Co. for the Kingston-West Mine at the intersection of Route 981 and Lee Valley Road, and moved to review the Kuhns subdivision along Route 982, contingent upon approval from the Westmoreland County Department of Planning and Development.
The supervisors will meet at 11 a.m. July 15 to open bids for the Bradenville School Road culvert replacement project.
Greg Reinbold is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-459-6100, ext. 2913 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Fast-growing Americans for Prosperity opens location in Greensburg
- Sale of former SCI Greensburg prison to advance despite lawmakers’ objections
- Court in the Classroom program provides insight for Norwin High School students
- Excela center proposal worries residents of Hempfield neighborhood
- Police claim woman stabbed husband at their Jeannette business
- Unity lawyer to vie for Westmoreland County judgeship
- Baby sitter arraigned on assault charges; Hempfield woman high on heroin, state police say
- Ligonier Township planners offer suggested changes to zoning proposal
- Mt. Pleasant Business District Authority picks officers
- Jeannette teen, charged with killing another, took ‘selfie’ with body, court papers say
- $7.6M buyout at Hempfield prison site clouds sale