Fire damages Scottdale home
No one was reported injured in a fire that damaged a Scottdale house Friday night, authorities said.
The fire at 816 Mulberry St. appeared to have started on the ground floor of the two-story house, Scottdale safety officer James Echard said. The cause of the fire remains under investigation, Echard said.
The fire was reported at 7:18 p.m. and the house sustained smoke and water damage, with several windows broken out.
The Westmoreland County Department of Public Safety said fire units still were at the scene at 9:50 p.m.
Scottdale fire Chief “Buzzy” Myers was not available for comment.
Hope L. and Scott Smith are listed as the owners of the property, according to documents in the Westmoreland County Recorder of Deeds office.
Tim Cunningham of Connellsville and Kevin Patik of Mt. Pleasant, who said they went to visit occupants of the house Friday night, said they saw smoke coming from the second story of the structure about 15 minutes after they had turned off an air-conditioner. The men said they had turned off the air-conditioner because of a strange odor.
Cunningham said they tried to douse the fire with cups of water, then called Westmoreland 911 to alert firefighters.
Scottdale were assisted by several neighboring units from Westmoreland and Fayette counties.
Joe Napsha is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 724-836-5252.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Westmoreland used car dealers indicted in fraud
- Lawyers for convicted killer Smyrnes want info about death row
- Charges dismissed against former Westmoreland jail guard accused of sex with inmate
- Penn Township man pleads guilty to assaulting 3 police officers
- 2 from Westmoreland County charged in child porn investigation
- Sewickley Township agrees to lease for land for playground
- Greensburg Salem to consider additional cost-cutting measures
- Westmoreland County Blind Association building brimming with activity
- Ex-Derry Township man’s troubles mount
- Walker: Scottdale, Everson plan Memorial Day events
- Derry Area proposes 2-mill tax increase