Newsmaker: David McCleary
Residence: New Alexandria
Family: Wife, Kelly
Education: Greater Latrobe graduate, 1981; bachelor's degree in special education from Indiana University of Pennsylvania, 1985; master's equivalency in education
Background: As a teacher in Derry Area School District for 26 years, McCleary worked with a program through his church, Latrobe United Presbyterian, to send books to schools in West Virginia, beginning about four years ago. He helped to start the KIND (Kids In Need in Derry) program, which subsidizes year-round closets — stocked with clothing and school supplies — at both the high school and the middle school. He is a past president of the Derry Area Education Association.
Noteworthy: Nominated by Derry Area High School principal Kathy Perry, McCleary was honored with a 2013 Education Hero Award from the Southwestern Pennsylvania Chapter of the American Red Cross for his work with the KIND closet and other service projects.
Quote: “Maybe I get a little more credit than I deserve because I had the idea, but the idea is the easy part. Nothing gets done by an individual. ... They're all group efforts. We're a rural district; we cover 109 square miles, but the focus is usually our schools. ... It's nice for us to be able to give something back.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Westmoreland County settles with fired public defender
- Rostraver Democrat aims for 1 of 3 open spots on Westmoreland County bench
- Endowment of $3.49B makes University of Pittsburgh 25th richest in U.S.
- Three injured in two-vehicle accident on Arona Road in Hempfield
- New Alexandria tree trimmer pleads guilty to fraud
- Suspect in West Newton burglary sought, alleged accomplice arrested
- Braddock man held for trial in Jeannette assault, robbery
- Woman pays $178 fine for Westmoreland courthouse conduct
- Former Steelers LB Haggans to do time in Westmoreland jail
- IRS scam snares another Westmoreland County resident
- Rustic Ridge Mine permit request criticized