Newsmaker: David McCleary
Residence: New Alexandria
Family: Wife, Kelly
Education: Greater Latrobe graduate, 1981; bachelor's degree in special education from Indiana University of Pennsylvania, 1985; master's equivalency in education
Background: As a teacher in Derry Area School District for 26 years, McCleary worked with a program through his church, Latrobe United Presbyterian, to send books to schools in West Virginia, beginning about four years ago. He helped to start the KIND (Kids In Need in Derry) program, which subsidizes year-round closets — stocked with clothing and school supplies — at both the high school and the middle school. He is a past president of the Derry Area Education Association.
Noteworthy: Nominated by Derry Area High School principal Kathy Perry, McCleary was honored with a 2013 Education Hero Award from the Southwestern Pennsylvania Chapter of the American Red Cross for his work with the KIND closet and other service projects.
Quote: “Maybe I get a little more credit than I deserve because I had the idea, but the idea is the easy part. Nothing gets done by an individual. ... They're all group efforts. We're a rural district; we cover 109 square miles, but the focus is usually our schools. ... It's nice for us to be able to give something back.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- State woos Kennametal with $1M in incentives to stay in Pa.
- Arnold man acquitted in rape case
- Jeannette mom accused of drug sale with kids in car
- Greensburg Salem school bus route changes complete
- Ohio woman will be millionth passenger to fly out of Arnold Palmer airport
- Kennametal HQ relocation rankles Westmoreland County business leadership
- Democrats go on offense in Westmoreland County commission debate
- Mt. Pleasant school board to discuss website plan
- Westmoreland County candidate admits to summary offenses
- Southmoreland directors to seek loan info from banks as state budget impasse continues
- Laurel Ridge rangers on watch for sexual misconduct in park