South Greensburg man charged with attempted homicide in machete attack
A South Greensburg man who was angry that his girlfriend telephoned an ex-boyfriend for a ride home on Friday allegedly attacked the man with a machete, Penn Township police said.
David R. Clara, 55, was charged by township police with attempted homicide, aggravated assault, reckless endangerment, making terroristic threats and harassment in connection with the attack that allegedly occurred about 6:35 p.m. Friday on Bushy Run Road.
Clara's girlfriend wrecked on Route 30 near Westmoreland Mall, and she telephoned a former boyfriend who lives nearby for a ride, according to court documents.When the girlfriend and the former boyfriend arrived at her Forbes Road residence, “Clara was yelling ... visibly upset and angry,” township police Officer Joseph Lewis wrote in an affidavit of probable cause.
Police said Clara and the man exchanged words, then Clara walked to his vehicle and took out a 21⁄2-foot-long machete and began swinging it at the alleged victim.
Witnesses told Lewis that Clara was yelling “I'm going to kill you,” while repeatedly swinging the machete at the man's head. Clara missed the man's head on four swings, but struck his left hand, causing a deep gash, witnesses said.
Clara fled the scene but was apprehended in the parking lot of Primanti Brothers restaurant in Greensburg by state and city police.
Clara posted $10,000 bond set by District Judge Frank Pallone, pending a preliminary hearing on Aug. 6 before Kistler.
Paul Peirce is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-850-2860 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Southmoreland student injured in school assault
- Lab results questioned in fatal Mt. Pleasant car accident
- Ligonier Township man jailed in alleged assault of police chief
- Latrobe Municipal Authority to replace solicitor
- Greater Latrobe elevates lacrosse teams
- Jeannette school board adds network assistant
- A Griffins great: Seton Hill soccer team supports 7-year-old honorary member
- Podlucky mansion in Ligonier Township will go to sheriff’s sale
- Mt. Pleasant hospital sets ‘exceptional’ example
- Gluten-Free Living Support Group meetings in Mt. Pleasant open to all
- New York fuel cell company to add another plant in Mt. Pleasant Township