Md. man charged in chase in Somerset
A Maryland man is charged with leading Somerset County police on a car chase in a stolen vehicle and running into pursuing officers, according to state police.
Gregory Eugene Wills Jr., 36, of New Market, Md., was driving a stolen Toyota Tundra pickup truck around 12:30 a.m. Monday when Somerset Borough Police Officer Eric Grus attempted to stop the speeding vehicle on West Main Street.
Wills refused to pull over. Several police departments joined in the chase.
According to police, Wills attempted to hit Grus while the officer was on his motorcycle, and Wills then sped away.
Two officers followed Wills into the wood line at Arnold's Sugar Camp, about 6 miles south on Route 3015.
While they were trying to stop Wills, he backed his truck into the patrol car with both officers inside.
Wills then fled another 10 miles into Garrett Borough, where he tried to run into other pursuing officers.
Finally, Wills drove into a marsh and he and his passenger, Wayne Alan Jarvis, 26, of Boswell were taken into custody.
Wills had a warrant for his arrest in Baltimore County, Md.
The truck had been reported stolen from Maryland over the weekend.
None of the officers was injured during the pursuit, police said.
Wills is charged with aggravated assault, receiving stolen property, driving under the influence, fleeing police and reckless endangerment.
Jarvis is charged with receiving stolen property.
Wills was placed in Somerset County Jail on a $100,000 bond. Jarvis was placed in that jail on $15,000 bond.
Both were arraigned before District Judge Kenneth Johnson Monday night.
Kate Wilcox is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-836-6155 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Zimbabwe alleges Murrysville doctor illegally killed lion
- Red Onion reunion possibly the last for Hempfield coal mining village
- Motorcyclist injured in Sewickley Township
- Heroin suspect out of Westmoreland County jail on $100K bond
- Judge denies former New Alexandria tree trimmer another chance
- Police: Greensburg man had heroin, stolen gun
- Monessen home invasion ‘ringleader’ denied leniency
- Hempfield murderer serving life sentence promises restitution when he’s released
- Westmoreland torture-slaying convict Smyrnes says death row isolation too cruel
- Girl, 10, forced to strip in Sewickley Township home invasion
- Gas meter struck, road temporarily closed near Armbrust Wesleyan Church